Μοσχεύματα τρίτης γενιάς υπόσχονται πλήρη αποκατάσταση βλαβών στους χόνδρους των αρθρώσεων

Με μοσχεύματα τρίτης γενιάς αντιμετωπίζονται πλέον οι βλάβες στους χόνδρους των αρθρώσεων, με εκπληκτικά αποτελέσματα για τους ασθενείς. Η μέθοδος αυτή, η οποία έχει αναπτυχθεί στη χώρα μας σταδιακά τα δύο τελευταία χρόνια, χρησιμοποιείται για τη θεραπεία οξέων βλαβών των χόνδρων που έχουν προκληθεί από τραυματισμούς και όχι από οστεοαρθρίτιδα.

Χονδροκύτταρα που λαμβάνονται από τον ασθενή με αρθροκόπηση καλλιεργούνται στο εργαστήριο και στη συνέχεια εμφυτεύονται στο σημείο της βλάβης είτε αυτούσια, είτε επικολλώνται με τη μορφή εμπλουτισμένης (με χονδροκύτταρα) μεμβάνης κολλαγόνου, εξήγησε ο αναπληρωτής καθηγητής της Ιατρικής Σχολής του ΑΠΘ, Κωνσταντίνος Νάτσης, στο πλαίσιο του 31ου Ετήσιου Συνεδρίου της Ορθοπαιδικής και Τραυματολογικής Εταιρείας Μακεδονίας-Θράκης.

Για την καλλιέργεια τον χονδροκυττάρων στο εργαστήριο απαιτείται διάστημα ενός μηνός ενώ μετά την εμφύτευση τους ή την επικόλληση της εμπλουτισμένης μεμβράνης κολλαγόνου, ο ασθενής θα πρέπει για περίπου 1,5 μήνα να μην πατάει πλήρως στο σκέλος του και να ακολουθήσει πρόγραμμα αποκατάστασης με ειδική γυμναστική.

Η μη αντιμετώπιση των οξέων βλαβών στους χόνδρους μπορεί να έχει ως συνέπεια σημαντικού βαθμού αναπηρία, ενώ η αντιμετώπιση με τα μοσχεύματα τρίτης γενιάς υπόσχεται πλήρη αποκατάσταση. Μάλιστα κάποιος που αθλείται μπορεί ένα χρόνο μετά την επέμβαση να επιστρέψει στην αθλητική δραστηριότητα. Η μέθοδος αυτή, όπως ανέφερε ο κ Νάτσης, ενδείκνυται για άτομα νεαρής ηλικίας ενώ η εφαρμογή της μετά την ηλικία των 45 ετών έχει πιο φτωχά αποτελέσματα.

Ελπιδοφόρα η αυτόλογη μεταμόσχευση μεσεγχυματικών κυττάρων σε βλάβες χόνδρων

Ελπιδοφόρα όμως είναι και τα πρώτα αποτελέσματα μελέτης για την αποκατάσταση εστιακών χόνδρινων βλαβών του γόνατος με την μεταμόσχευση μεσεγχυματικών κυττάρων από τον λιπώδη ιστό ιδίου του ασθενούς.

Η μέθοδος αυτή, η οποία εφαρμόστηκε σε πέντε ασθενείς στην Ορθοπαιδική Κλινική του ΕΣΥ στο νοσοκομείο Παπαγεωργίου, συνιστάται στη πλήρωση της βλάβης του χόνδρου με πολλαπλασιασμένα σε καλλιέργεια μεσεγχυματικά κύτταρα του ιδίου του ασθενούς, τα οποία απομονώνονται από ιστοτεμάχια κοιλιακού υποδόριου λίπους, και κάλυψή τους με βιοαπορροφήσιμη μεμβράνη. Έξι μήνες μετά την επέμβαση δεν παρατηρήθηκαν επιπλοκές ή ανεπιθύμητες ενέργειες στους ασθενείς οι οποίοι ήταν ικανοποιημένοι καθώς η κατάστασή τους βελτιώθηκε σημαντικά.

Η μελέτη αυτή των Μ. Ιωσηφίδη, Ι. Μελά, Θ. Κυριακίδη, Δ. Αλβανού και Α. Κυριακίδη θα παρουσιαστεί στη διάρκεια του 31ου Ετήσιου Συνεδρίου της Ορθοπαιδικής και Τραυματολογικής Εταιρείας Μακεδονίας-Θράκης.

www.kathimerini.gr με πληροφορίες από ΑΜΠΕ

Πηγή

• Like 2

Νίφει!

Οταν εκανα καθαρισμο τους χονδρους (Ιανουαριο του 2011) ο Γιατρος μου ΄,μού εδωσε ενα dvd με την συγκεκριμενη μεθοδο εμφυτευσης μοσχευματων χονδρου που εχει αναπαραχθει απο υγιεις χονδρους του ασθενη σε εργαστηριο.

Η μεθοδος τα τελευταια 2 χρονια εχει φθασει σε πολυ υψηλο επιπεδο με τεραστια ποσοστα επιτυχιας και την προτειμουν πλεον πολλοι ασθενεις οι οποιοι ειναι σε σταδιο αρθοπλαστικης.

Το κοστος ειναι αρκετα υψιλο (5-7 χιλ. ευρω συνολικα και δεν χρηματοδοτει φυσικα κανενα ταμειο ακομη-τουλαχιστον περυσι.

Πιστευω οτι θα αντεξω ακομη λιγα χρονια ωστε να συμβαλει και λιγο το Τεβε.....

Κυκλοφορρουν πολλα βιντεακια στο youtube με την εν λογω μεθοδο.

Ειναι πολυ ενημερωτικα για τους περισσοτερους εδω μεσα (λογω καταπωνισης των γονατων αλλα και λογω Ηλικιας!!!!)

Μακρια απο μας!!!!!φτου!

• Like 1

o τρελος του χωριου......

Does Exercise Make You Overeat?

Phys Ed | By GRETCHEN REYNOLDS | April 16, 2012, 2:35 pm 141 Comments

17PHYSED_SPAN-tmagArticle.jpgGetty Images

Some people respond to exercise by eating more. Others eat less. For many years, scientists thought that changes in hormones, spurred by exercise, dictated whether someone’s appetite would increase or drop after working out. But now new neuroscience is pointing to another likely cause. Exercise may change your desire to eat, two recent studies show, by altering how certain parts of your brain respond to the sight of food.

In one study, scientists brought 30 young, active men and women to a lab at California Polytechnic State University in San Luis Obispo for two experimental sessions, where they draped their heads in functional M.R.I. coils. The researchers wanted to track activity in portions of the brain known as the food-reward system, which includes the poetically named insula, putamen and rolandic operculum. These brain regions have been shown to control whether we like and want food. In general, the more cells firing there, the more we want to eat.

Gretchen Reynolds on the science of fitness.

But it hasn’t been clear how exercise alters the food-reward network.

To find out, the researchers had the volunteers either vigorously ride computerized stationary bicycles or sit quietly for an hour before settling onto the M.R.I. tables. Each volunteer then swapped activities for their second session.

Immediately afterward, they watched a series of photos flash onto computer screens. Some depicted low-fat fruits and vegetables or nourishing grains, while others showcased glistening cheeseburgers, ice cream sundaes and cookies. A few photos that weren’t of food were interspersed into the array.

In the volunteers who’d been sitting for an hour, the food-reward system lit up, especially when they sighted high-fat, sugary items.

But if they had worked out for an hour first, those same people displayed much less interest in food, according to their brain scans. Their insula and other portions of the food-reward system remained relatively quiet, even in the face of sundaes.

“Responsiveness to food cues was significantly reduced after exercise,” says Todd A. Hagobian, a professor of kinesiology at California Polytechnic who oversaw the study, published last month in The Journal of Applied Physiology. “That reduction was spread across many different regions of the brain,” he continues, “including those that affect liking and wanting food, and the motivation to seek out food.” Though he didn’t follow the volunteers after they’d left the lab to see whether they might have headed to an all-you-can-eat buffet on days they exercised, on questionnaires they indicated feeling much less interested in seeking out food after exercise than after rest.

Those results may not be typical, though. The Cal-Poly subjects uniformly were in their 20s, normal weight and fit enough to ride a bike strenuously for an hour. Many of us are not.

And as another provocative new study of brain activity after exercise found, some overweight, sedentary people respond to exercise by revving their food-reward systems, not dampening them.

In that study, published last year in The Journal of Obesity, 34 heavy men and women began a supervised, five-day-a-week exercise program, designed so that each participant would burn about 500 calories per workout. They were allowed to eat at will throughout the experiment.

Twelve weeks later, 20 of the group had lost considerable weight, about 11 pounds on average. But 14 had not, dropping only a pound or two, if any.

141 Comments

How does exercise affect your appetite? Join in the discussion below.

Those 14, dubbed nonresponders, also had displayed the highest brain responses to food cues following exercise when the study began. After three months, they retained that undesirable lead. Their food-reward networks lit up riotously after exercise at the sight of food, and in fact showed more enthusiasm now than at the start of the study.

The responders’ brains, in contrast, responded with a relative ‘meh’ to food pictures after exercise.

What all of this suggests, Dr. Hagobian of Cal-Poly says, is that “exercise has a definite impact on food reward regions. But that impact may depend” on who you are and what kind of exercise you do.

His group of fit young people, he points out, completed prolonged, strenuous endurance sessions. “It’s likely that, in order to achieve weight loss and weight maintenance, you need to do a fair amount of exercise and do it often,” he says.

For exercise noticeably to dampen your desire for food, in other words, you may need to sweat for an hour. It may also help if you’re already lean and in shape.

But Dr. Hagobian is optimistic that research might help almost everyone to better deploy exercise against appetite control. “There may be doses or types of exercise that are more effective for some people than for others.” Eventually, brain research may help to point people to the exercise program best suited to them.

In the meantime, he says, don’t take to the couch, even if exercise makes you ravenous. “Being fit can have psychological effects,” he says, perhaps increasing your desire to consume a better diet and, in the long term, shed pounds.

“Four or five years ago, it really looked like appetite hormones” controlled what we eat, says Dr. Habogian, who conducted some of the first studies of exercise and the hormones. “But I’m more and more convinced that it’s the brain. Hormones don’t tell you to go eat. Your brain does. And if we can get the dose right, exercise might change that message.”

πηγή NYtimes Health/science

"I would never have imagined that a girl from little ol’ Midland, Ont. would be where I am today.So always dream big…you can make it happen!"(Sarah Burke)

The Surprising Shortcut to Better Health

BOOKS | By TARA PARKER-POPE | May 4, 2012, 11:17 AM 289 Comments

04well-gretchenauthor-articleInline.jpg

Russell Thurston

Gretchen Reynolds

While the subtitle alone makes bold promises about the potential of exercise to protect the human body, the most surprising message from Ms. Reynolds is not that we all need to exercise more — or at least not the way exercise is typically defined by the American public. Ms. Reynolds makes a clear distinction between the amount of exercise we do to improve sports performance and the amount of exercise that leads to better health. To achieve the latter, she explains, we don’t need to run marathons, sweat it out on exercise bikes or measure our peak oxygen uptake. We just need to do something.

“Humans,” she writes, “are born to stroll.”

I recently spoke with Ms. Reynolds about the science of exercise, why standing up is good for you and why, after writing a book about fitness, she began to exercise less. Here’s our conversation.

04well-gretchenbook-articleInline.jpg

Q.

Why did you choose “The First 20 Minutes” for the title of a fitness book?

A.

The first 20 minutes of moving around, if someone has been really sedentary, provide most of the health benefits. You get prolonged life, reduced disease risk — all of those things come in in the first 20 minutes of being active.

Without being evangelical, I wanted people to understand that this is a book about how little exercise you can do in order to get lots and lots of health benefits. Two-thirds of Americans get no exercise at all. If one of those people gets up and moves around for 20 minutes, they are going to get a huge number of health benefits, and everything beyond that 20 minutes is, to some degree, gravy.

That doesn’t mean I’m suggesting people should not exercise more if they want to. You can always do more. But the science shows that if you just do anything, even stand in place 20 minutes, you will be healthier.

Q.

Is part of the problem that people equate exercise with trying to lose weight, and many of them have given up?

A.

I think a lot of people look to exercise to help them lose weight, and when they don’t lose weight immediately with exercise, they quit. They return to the couch, and they basically never move again. What is lost in that is that fitness is almost certainly more important than fatness.

If you are overweight but fit, meaning you have a reasonably good V012 max (a measure of oxygen uptake), then your risk of premature death, all the chronic diseases — diabetes, heart disease, cancer — will drop. If you have to choose, choose to be fit, whether you lose weight or not.

If someone starts an exercise program and improves his fitness, even if he doesn’t lose an ounce, he will generally have a longer life and a much healthier life. It would be nice if people would look at exercise as a way to make themselves feel better and live longer and not necessarily as a way to make themselves skinnier.

Q.

In researching this book, what did you find are the biggest misconceptions about exercise?

A.

One of the biggest misconceptions is that exercise has to be hard, that exercise means marathon running or riding your bike for three hours or doing something really strenuous. That’s untrue and, I think, discourages a lot of people from exercising. If you walk, your body registers that as motion, and you get all sorts of physiological changes that result in better health. Gardening counts as exercise. What would be nice would be for people to identify with the whole idea of moving more as opposed to quote “exercise.”

Q.

A regular theme of your column is the risks of being sedentary. What’s more important to health: exercise or sedentary behavior?

A.

It’s also an important theme in the book. There are two things going on: One is activity, and the other is inactivity, and they have different effects on the body. There is a whole scientific discipline called inactivity physiology that looks at what happens if you just sit still for hours at a time. If the big muscles in your legs don’t contract for hours on end, then you get physiological changes in your body that exercise won’t necessarily undo. Exercise causes one set of changes in your body, and being completely sedentary causes another.

Q.

Has writing this book changed your own approach to fitness?

A.

It validated some of the things I was already doing, like not stretching before a workout, which I always hated doing. I hated sit-ups and found out they were bad for your back. I was pleased to learn that. It has changed how I approach hydration in exercise. Now I drink when I’m thirsty, and it seems to be completely fine.

I also exercise a whole lot less. Partly it’s because I have less time, but it’s also because I have learned that I don’t have to do more to be healthy. My main goal now is not to be competitive. What I really want is to be healthy and to set a good example for my son. I want to be around for the next 40 years, and the science seems to show very clearly that you don’t have to do a lot to make yourself a whole lot healthier.

I run a couple of miles most days. I used to feel like if I didn’t run five miles it didn’t count. Now I’m very content to get out for half an hour or 20 minutes, and I feel reasonably healthy after that.

Q.

And you told me that you also stand more?

A.

I really do stand up at least every 20 minutes now, because I was spending five or six hours unmoving in my chair. The science is really clear that that is very unhealthy, and that it promotes all sorts of disease. All you have to do to ameliorate that is to stand up. You don’t even have to move. I’m standing up right now as I talk on the phone. I stand during most of my interviews now.

Q.

I’m finding this very inspirational. What is your advice for people reading this — what should they go do today?

A.

If people want to be healthier and prolong their life span, all they really need to do is go for a walk. It’s the single easiest thing anyone can do. There are some people who honestly can’t walk, so I would say to those people to try to go to the local Y.M.C.A. and swim.

There are always options for moving. You don’t have to do anything that hurts. You don’t have to buy equipment. If you have a pair of shoes, they don’t even have to be sneakers. People have gotten the idea that exercise has to be complicated, and that they need a heart rate monitor, and a coach, and equipment and special instruction. They don’t.

The human body is a really excellent coach. If you listen to it, it will tell you if you’re going hard enough, if you’re going too hard. If it starts to hurt, then you back off. It should just feel good, because we really are built to move, and not moving is so unnatural. Just move, because it really can be so easy, and it really can change your life.

Πηγή: http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/05/04/the-surprising-shortcut-to-better-health/?src=me&ref=general

• Like 1

Νίφει!

DNA σε ρόλο κομπιούτερ κάνει delete τα καρκινικά κύτταρα

Τρίτη, 29 Μαΐου 2012 Ειδήσεις | |

dna-300x170.jpgΤο όλο εγχείρημα αγγίζει τα όρια της επιστημονικής φαντασίας, αλλά είναι πέρα για πέρα αληθινό και εάν τελικά πετύχει πλήρως, θα μιλάμε για εκ θεμελίων ανατροπή των δεδομένων στην καταπολέμηση του καρκίνου. Αμερικάνοι επιστήμονες δημιούργησαν μια πρωτοποριακή μέθοδο για να γράφουν, να αποθηκεύουν, να σβήνουν και να ξαναγράφουν «ψηφιακά» δεδομένα στο εσωτερικό του γενετικού υλικού (DNA) ζωντανών κυττάρων.

Πρακτικά αυτό σημαίνει ότι κατάφεραν να βρουν τρόπο να “απενεργοποιήσουν” τα καρκινικά κύτταρα, να κάνουν deleteδηλαδή στο DNA των κυττάρων που κάποια στιγμή πρόκειται να εμφανίσουν καρκίνο.

Η ιδέα των επιστημόνων της ιατρικής σχολής του πανεπιστημίου του Στάνφορντ στηρίχθηκε στη λογική των ηλεκτρονικών υπολογιστών. Δημιούργησαν μία μορφή επανεγγράψιμης μνήμης ενός «bit» μέσα στο DNA και, παράλληλα, ένα είδος κυτταρικού «διακόπτη» που παρέχει στους επιστήμονες τη δυνατότητα ακριβούς ελέγχου όσον αφορά το πώς και πότε εκφράζονται συγκεκριμένα γονίδια μέσα στο κύτταρο, κάτι που αποτελεί ένα ακόμα βήμα προόδου στο πεδίο της συνθετικής βιολογίας.

Οι ερευνητές, χρησιμοποίησαν ένζυμα ενός βακτηριοφάγου ιού, με τη βοήθεια των οποίων μετέτρεψαν τις αλληλουχίες του DNA ενός γνωστού κολοβακτηριδίου (του E.coli) σε διακόπτη που κινείται κατά τη βούληση των ερευνητών.

Πρακτικά, αυτό σημαίνει ότι κατόρθωσαν να εφεύρουν το γενετικό ισοδύναμο ενός δυαδικού ψηφίου bit, που είναι η εναλλαγή μεταξύ των «0» και «1» που χρησιμοποιείται στους ηλεκτρονικούς υπολογιστές. Όταν το τμήμα του DNA καθοδηγείται προς τη μία κατεύθυνση, τότε πρόκειται για «0», ενώ όταν κατευθύνεται στην άλλη κατεύθυνση, τότε πρόκειται για «1». Με αυτό τον τρόπο, κατέστη δυνατό να χρησιμοποιηθεί το DNA για την κωδικοποίηση (εγγραφή), αποθήκευση και «σβήσιμο» των πληροφοριών.

«Μας πήρε τρία χρόνια και 750 προσπάθειες για να το κάνουμε να δουλέψει, αλλά τελικά το πετύχαμε» δήλωσε ο επικεφαλής της έρευνας δρ Μπονέτ. Σύμφωνα με τους ερευνητές, η προγραμματισμένη αποθήκευση δεδομένων μέσα στο DNA ζωντανών κυττάρων μπορεί μελλοντικά να αποτελέσει ένα τρομερά αποτελεσματικό «εργαλείο» για την μελέτη -και ίσως την καταπολέμηση- του καρκίνου ή της γήρανσης, αλλά και για άλλες παρεμβάσεις στην ανάπτυξη των οργανισμών, ακόμα και του ίδιου του φυσικού περιβάλλοντος. Για παράδειγμα, ίσως στο μέλλον οι επιστήμονες να μπορούν να απενεργοποιούν έγκαιρα συγκεκριμένα κύτταρα, προτού αυτά γίνουν καρκινικά.

Η νέα τεχνική, που ονομάζεται RAD (Recombinase Addressable Data), χρησιμοποιήθηκε από τους ερευνητές με επιτυχία στα βακτήρια, έτσι ώστε -ανάλογα με τη βούληση των επιστημόνων- αυτοί οι μονοκύτταροι οργανισμοί να εκπέμπουν κόκκινη ή πράσινη λάμψη κάτω από το υπεριώδες φως, ανάλογα με τον προγραμματισμένο προσανατολισμό του DNA τους προς την μία ή την άλλη κατεύθυνση. Χάρη στη νέα τεχνική, οι επιστήμονες μπορούσαν να ελέγξουν, όπως ήθελαν, τον φωσφορισμό των μικροβίων.

Στο παρελθόν, οι ερευνητές είχαν κάνει το πρώτο βήμα στρέφοντας τη γενετική αλληλουχία του DNA μόνιμα προς μία μόνο κατεύθυνση («εγγραφή»), αλλά αυτή τη φορά κατάφεραν να αλλάζουν διαδοχικά την κατεύθυνση του DNA όσες φορές ήθελαν («επανεγγραφή»), εξ ου και ο χαρακτηρισμός τους πλέον περί «επανεγγράψιμης μνήμης» μέσα στο DNA.

Το επίτευγμα ανοίγει περαιτέρω το δρόμο για τη δημιουργία υπολογιστών στο εσωτερικό των ίδιων των βιολογικών συστημάτων. Το επόμενο βήμα, κατά τους ερευνητές, θα είναι να περάσουν από το απλό «bit» της προγραμματισμένης γενετικής πληροφορίας, σε οκτώ «bits», δηλαδή σε ένα ολόκληρο «byte», κάτι που όμως είναι ιδιαίτερα πολύπλοκο και θα απαιτήσει νέα «εργαλεία» στο πεδίο της βιοτεχνολογίας και της συνθετικής βιολογίας. Οι ερευνητές προσδοκούν ότι το δεύτερο «bit» επανεγγράψιμων δεδομένων στο DNA θα καταστεί εφικτό πιο γρήγορα από το πρώτο και το τρίτο πιο γρήγορα από το δεύτερο κ.ο.κ., όμως η όλη διαδικασία, μέχρι τελικά τη δημιουργία ενός «βιολογικού byte», αναμένεται να πάρει αρκετό χρόνο, ίσως μία δεκαετία.

Πηγή: http://www.iatropedia.gr

• Like 2

"I would never have imagined that a girl from little ol’ Midland, Ont. would be where I am today.So always dream big…you can make it happen!"(Sarah Burke)

Εμβόλιο «κόβει» το τσιγάρο μια για πάντα

Περιβάλλον Ενέργεια Οικολογία:

emvolio-kapnisma.jpgΈνα εμβόλιο που εισάγει στον οργανισμό γονίδια τα οποία δημιουργούν αντισώματα κατά της νικοτίνης ανέπτυξαν οι επιστήμονες, εκφράζοντας την ελπίδα ότι με το επίτευγμά τους θα βοηθήσουν εκατομμύρια ανθρώπους να απεξαρτηθούν οριστικά από το τσιγάρο.

Μόνο μια δόση διώχνει για πάντα την επιθυμία για νικοτίνη και οι επιστήμονες εξετάζουν το ενδεχόμενο μελλοντικά να εμβολιάσουν τα παιδιά ώστε να μην εθιστούν ποτέ στη βλαβερή αυτή ουσία.

Το «γενετικό εμβόλιο» μέχρι στιγμής έχει δοκιμαστεί μόνο σε ποντίκια, ωστόσο οι κλινικές έρευνες σε ανθρώπους αναμένεται να ξεκινήσουν σε δυο χρόνια.

Το εμβόλιο περιέχει γονίδια «προγραμματισμένα» να φτιάχνουν αντισώματα που εξουδετερώνουν τη νικοτίνη πριν φτάσει στον εγκέφαλο, όπου υπό κανονικές συνθήκες θα προκαλούσε ευχάριστα συναισθήματα που ευθύνονται για τον εθισμό.

Η κεντρική ιδέα είναι ότι αν οι καπνιστές σταματήσουν να ευχαριστιούνται με το τσιγάρο, θα το κόψουν πολύ ευκολότερα.

Το εμβόλιο, που αναπτύσσεται από το Ιατρικό Κολλέγιο Weill Cornell στη Νέα Υόρκη, κάνει το συκώτι να παράγει συνεχώς αντισώματα, διασφαλίζοντας ότι πάντα θα κυκλοφορούν στο αίμα για να καταπολεμήσουν τη νικοτίνη.

Όταν οι επιστήμονες χορήγησαν νικοτίνη στα εμβολιασμένα ποντίκια, τα αντισώματα μείωσαν κατά 85% την ποσότητα της ουσίας που εισήλθε στον εγκέφαλο, χωρίς να προκαλέσουν αρτηριακή πίεση, καρδιακά προβλήματα ή προβλήματα συμπεριφοράς.

«Οι περισσότεροι καπνιστές που προσπαθούν να το κόψουν ανάβουν και πάλι τσιγάρο σε έξι μήνες. Αυτό το νέο εμβόλιο προσφέρει μια αποτελεσματική λύση στο πρόβλημα», επισημαίνουν οι ερευνητές στη μελέτη τους.

econews

Ελληνες εξηγούν για 1η φορά «ακριβώς πώς λειτουργεί η καρδιά μετά από ανακοπή»!

Παγκόσμια ιατρική επιτυχία!

Οι ερευνητές της Ιατρικής σχολής του Πανεπιστημίου Αθηνών Αθανάσιος Χαλκιάς και Θεόδωρος Ξάνθος σε έρευνα που δημοσιεύτηκε στο επιστημονικό περιοδικό «Heart Failure Reviews» αποκαλύπτουν τον ακριβή μηχανισμό λειτουργίας της καρδιάς μετά από ανακοπή (post-resuscitation myocardial stunning).

Κατάφεραν να ενοποιήσουν όλες τις υπάρχουσες θεωρίες, ενώ η ανακάλυψή τους αναμένεται να οδηγήσει στην εξεύρεση νέων θεραπευτικών μεθόδων!

Οι 2 επιστήμονες έχουν δεχτεί προτάσεις για να διδάξουν σε σημαντικά Πανεπιστήμια του εξωτερικού -και μάλιστα με 4πλάσιες αποδοχές από αυτές των ελληνικών Πανεπιστημίων. Ωστόσο, παραμένουν στην Ελλάδα, παρά τις αντιξοότητες...

- Γιατί είναι GoodNews:

Ο κ. Αθανάσιος Χαλκιάς

halkias.png

εξηγεί: «Για πρώτη φορά η ιατρική κοινότητα γνωρίζει ακριβώς πώς λειτουργεί η καρδιά μετά από ανακοπή και πλέον μπορεί να πράξει ανάλογα»

Πιο συγκεκριμένα, οι ερευνητές της Ιατρικής σχολής του Πανεπιστημίου Αθηνών Αθανάσιος Χαλκιάς και Θεόδωρος Ξάνθος στη δημοσίευση τους περιγράφουν λεπτομερώς την έως τώρα άγνωστη παθοφυσιολογία του χειμάζοντος μυοκαρδίου μετά από ανακοπή και επιτυχή αναζωογόνηση.

Σύμφωνα με ξένους επιστήμονες η έρευνα των 2 Ελλήνων αποτελεί την καλύτερη και πληρέστερη εξήγηση αυτού του φαινομένου έως τώρα αφού, εκτός των άλλων, ενοποιεί τις υπάρχουσες θεωρίες.

Όπως επισημαίνουν οι Έλληνες επιστήμονες έχουν δεχτεί πολλές προτάσεις για να διδάξουν σε σημαντικά Πανεπιστήμια του εξωτερικού και μάλιστα με 4πλάσιες αποδοχές από αυτές των ελληνικών Πανεπιστημίων.

Ωστόσο, έχουν επιλέξει να παραμείνουν στην Ελλάδα, παρά τις αντιξοότητες.

Ο κ. Θεόδωρος Ξάνθος

xanthos.png

που είναι επίσης ο Πρόεδρος της Ελληνικής Εταιρείας Καρδιοαναπνευστικής Αναζωογόνησης, δηλώνει:

«Είμαι Έλληνας και παρά τις δυσκολίες που διέρχεται η χώρα μου, θέλω να ξέρω ότι όλη αυτή η έρευνα προέρχεται από την Ελλάδα».

Ακόμα, αναφέρει:

«Η Ελλάδα στον τομέα της αναζωογόνησης καλύπτει το 8% της παγκόσμιας βιβλιογραφίας».

Η περίληψη της έρευνας όπως δημοσιεύτηκε στο τεύχος Ιανουαρίου 2012 του επιστημονικού περιοδικού «Heart Fail Reviews»:

«The prognosis for cardiac arrest victims remains dismal, as only 17% survives to hospital discharge. Post-resuscitation myocardial stunning is the mechanical dysfunction that persists after the restoration of spontaneous circulation. Our knowledge regarding myocardial stunning has grown dramatically over the years, and several hypotheses have been proposed in order to explain its pathophysiology; however, the interrelationships among various mechanisms remain unclear. This review deals primarily with the basic aspects of the pathophysiology of post-resuscitation myocardial stunning. Given the large number of relevant studies and the fragmented information, an effort was made to summarize current knowledge in order to present a comprehensive pathophysiological mechanism. In this review, the pathophysiological disturbances occurring from the onset of cardiac arrest until the restoration of spontaneous circulation are addressed. Then, the pathophysiology of myocardial stunning during the post-resuscitation period is critically reviewed in 4 parts, the immediate, the early, the intermediate, and the recovery post-arrest phase. This article covers a huge gap in the existing literature regarding the pathophysiology of post-resuscitation period and provides a better understanding of the pathophysiology and pathogenesis of post-resuscitation myocardial stunning».

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21584712

http://www.eekaa.com/

Δείτε προηγούμενη δημοσίευση των 2 ερευνητών:

http://www.wjgnet.com/2220-3141/abstract/v1/i1/4.htm

πηγη goodnews.gr

8 Ιουλίου 2012

Φυτό της ελληνικής υπαίθρου, όπλο κατά του καρκίνου

tromaktiko5.jpg

Ένα φυτό που μπορείτε να δείτε σε αφθονία στην ελληνική εξοχή και ήταν γνωστό για τις θεραπευτικές - και τοξικές - ιδιότητές του από την αρχαιότητα ίσως αποτελέσει το επόμενο όπλο της επιστήμης ενάντια στον καρκίνο.

Η θάψια (Thapsia garganica) ή, για να είμαστε πιο ακριβείς, μια εργαστηριακή «απομίμηση» της δραστικής ουσίας της, θα χορηγηθεί σε ασθενείς με καρκίνο του προστάτη σε κλινικές δοκιμές στις Ηνωμένες Πολιτείες. Αν το τεστ έχει επιτυχή έκβαση, το ταπεινό φυτό της Μεσογείου αναμένεται να αποτελέσει το «κλειδί» για την ανάπτυξη μιας νέας γενιάς αντικαρκινικών φαρμάκων.

Ο κόνδυλος του θανάτου

Οι αρχαίοι Έλληνες χρησιμοποιούσαν τη θάψια ως εμετικό και αποχρεμπτικό. Παράλληλα όμως - και αυτός είναι και ο λόγος για τον οποίο αναφέρεται ακόμη και ως τη μεσαιωνική βιβλιογραφία ως «θανατηφόρος κόνδυλος» - γνώριζαν επίσης ότι έχει ισχυρές τοξικές ιδιότητες, εφόσον μπορούσε να σκοτώσει τα ζώα που έκαναν το λάθος να τη «γευτούν» σε ικανές ποσότητες.

Μια ομάδα ερευνητών του Πανεπιστημίου Τζονς Χόπκινς με επικεφαλής τον ογκολόγο Σάμιουελ Ντενμίντ σκέφτηκε να στρέψει την ισχυρή τοξική δράση της θάψιας εναντίον των καρκινικών όγκων.

Οι επιστήμονες αφιέρωσαν σε αυτή την προσπάθεια 15 ολόκληρα χρόνια ερευνών προκειμένου να αναπτύξουν μια συνθετική εκδοχή της θαψιγαργίνης (της δραστικής ουσίας του φυτού), η οποία στοχεύει αποκλειστικά τα καρκινικά κύτταρα αφήνοντας ανέπαφα τα υγιή.

Τροποποίηση εναντίον του καρκίνου

Η θαψιγαργίνη σκοτώνει τα κύτταρα ενός οργανισμού διαπερνώντας την κυτταρική μεμβράνη και «κλείνοντας» τις αντλίες ασβεστίου που είναι απαραίτητες για την επιβίωσή τους. Για να επιτύχουν τη στόχευση μόνο των καρκινικών κυττάρων, ο κ. Ντενμίντ και οι συνεργάτες του τροποποίησαν το μόριο της φυτικής δραστικής ουσίας προσθέτοντας μια επιπλέον πεπτιδική αλυσίδα.

Η τροποποίηση αυτή ουσιαστικά «προγραμματίζει» την τοξική ουσία έτσι ώστε να μην εισχωρεί στη μεμβράνη των κυττάρων παρά μόνο στην περίπτωση που αυτή περιέχει PSMA, ένα ένζυμο το οποίο βρίσκεται συχνά στην επιφάνεια πολλών καρκινικών κυττάρων του προστάτη.

Ουσιαστικά το PSMA καταργεί την «ασπίδα προστασίας» αντιδρώντας με την επιπλέον πεπτιδική αλυσίδα και αφαιρώντας την, με αποτέλεσμα η θαψιγαργίνη να επανέρχεται ανενόχλητη στη συνηθισμένη δράση της και επομένως να εισχωρεί στο καρκινικό κύτταρο και να το σκοτώνει.

Ολική εξολόθρευση

Αντίθετα με τα παραδοσιακά χημειοθεραπευτικά φάρμακα, τα οποία δρουν μόνο εναντίον των ταχέως αναπτυσσόμενων καρκινικών κυττάρων, η νέα συνθετική θραψιγαργίνη αποτελεί έναν «καθολικό» εξολοθρευτή: δεν επιτίθεται μόνο στα καρκινικά κύτταρα που βρίσκονται υπό ανάπτυξη αλλά και σε εκείνα που βρίσκονται σε «ύπνωση» καθώς και στα μη καρκινικά κύτταρα που επιστρατεύονται ως «βοηθοί» για την ανάπτυξη του όγκου.

«Μπορείτε να τη δείτε σαν μια χειροβομβίδα» ανέφερε ο κ. Ντενμίντ στο περιοδικό «New Scientist». «Ένας τραβάει την περόνη αλλά όσοι είναι γύρω του σκοτώνονται».

Στα πειραματόζωα οι «παράπλευρες απώλειες» από τη δράση της ουσίας φαίνονται να είναι πολύ μικρές, προκαλώντας μηδαμινές βλάβες στον υγιή ιστό. Οι πρώτες κλινικές δοκιμές, που αναμένεται να αρχίσουν σύντομα, θα δείξουν αν οι παρενέργειές της σε ανθρώπους θα είναι εξίσου περιορισμένες.

Αν τα αποτελέσματά τους είναι ικανοποιητικά, ενδεχομένως θα δούμε έναν νέο δρόμο να ανοίγεται στις αντικαρκινικές θεραπείες καθώς πρόσφατες μελέτες έχουν εντοπίσει το ένζυμο PSMA και σε καρκινικά κύτταρα εκτός του προστάτη.

Απο :tro-ma-ktiko

από ΠΟΛΥΔΡΟΣΟΣ ΠΑΡΝΑΣΣΟΥ

Edited by madskier

Το Ελληνικό τσάι του βουνού δρα κατά του Αλτσχάιμερ

tsai.jpg

«Το ανώτερο τσάι προέρχεται από τα ψηλά βουνά», έλεγε μια αρχαία κινεζική παροιμία. «Τα ελληνικά βουνά» προσθέτουν σήμερα Γερμανοί επιστήμονες. Πληθαίνουν τα δημοσιεύματα για τις θαυματουργές ιδιότητες του ελληνικού τσαγιού του βουνού στη μάχη για την καταπολέμηση της νόσου Aλτσχάιμερ, η οποία οδηγεί στον εκφυλισμό των εγκεφαλικών κυττάρων. Από τη νόσο πάσχουν 800.000 άτομα στη Γερμανία και περίπου 30 εκατομμύρια σε όλο τον κόσμο. Τα μελλοντικά, δε, σενάρια ηχούν ακόμα πιο εφιαλτικά, καθώς αυξάνουν τους δυνητικούς ασθενείς το 2050 σε περισσότερους από 110 εκατομμύρια παγκοσμίως.

Μεταξύ 150 φυτών «Εδώ και επτά χρόνια είχαμε πειραματιστεί με 150 φυτά και βότανα από όλο τον κόσμο, την Κίνα, την Ταϊλάνδη, την Ινδονησία» διηγείται στην «Κ» ο καθηγητής Νευρολογίας στο Πανεπιστήμιο του Magdeburg και διευθυντής του ομώνυμου Ερευνητικού Κέντρου για Νευρολογικές Ασθένειες, Jens Pahnke. Η εικοσαμελής επιστημονική ομάδα ανέλυε τα συστατικά των φυτών και τα δοκίμαζε σε πειραματόζωα, χωρίς ωστόσο σημαντική ωφέλεια.

«Από έρευνά μας στο Ιντερνετ, μάθαμε για τις ιδιότητες του ελληνικού βοτάνου και αποφασίσαμε να το παραγγείλουμε το 2010», θυμάται ο Γερμανός καθηγητής. «Είχαμε τα καλύτερα δυνατά αποτελέσματα!» περιγράφει ο ίδιος. Συγκεκριμένα, όταν αυτό δίδεται σε ποντίκια για 25 μέρες περιορίζει τη βλάβη του εγκεφάλου σε ποσοστό περίπου 80%. Το επόμενο «καλύτερο» αποτέλεσμα είχε το συστατικό Τhiethylperazin, που όμως φτάνει το 70%. Ο 38χρονος καθηγητής, που κουράρει 1.500 ασθενείς από όλο τον κόσμο ετησίως, δοκίμασε τις ιδιότητες του τσαγιού του βουνού και στους ανθρώπους. «Πίνοντας καθημερινά τσάι για έξι μήνες, η ασθένεια υπαναχωρεί στο επίπεδο που ήταν εννέα μήνες νωρίτερα και μετά από αυτό σταθεροποιείται σημαντικά», εξηγεί. «Είχα ασθενή, που είχε πρόβλημα μνήμης και προσανατολισμού και είχε φτάσει σε σημείο που δεν μπορούσε ούτε στην τουαλέτα να πάει μόνος τους» διηγείται. «Του χορήγησα τσάι για δύο μήνες και τώρα έχει βελτιωθεί σε τέτοιο βαθμό που ετοιμάζεται να πάει διακοπές με έναν φίλο τους στις Αλπεις», τονίζει.

Προς το παρόν, ο γιατρός συνιστά να πίνουμε πολλά φλιτζάνια κρύο ή ζεστό τσάι την ημέρα. Είναι, άλλωστε, κοινός τόπος ότι όσο νωρίτερα λαμβάνει κανείς προληπτικά μέτρα για το Aλτσχάιμερ τόσο καλύτερα. «Συνήθως, φτάνει κανείς στο σημείο να μη θυμάται πώς να γυρίσει σπίτι του για να συνειδητοποιήσει ότι κάτι… “τρέχει” και να μας επισκεφθεί», επισημαίνει ο Γερμανός γιατρός «αν, όμως, είχε υποβληθεί νωρίτερα σε κάποιο σχετικό τεστ, θα είχε καλύτερη εξέλιξη η αρρώστια». Τα επόμενα δύο χρόνια η επιστημονική ομάδα του Magdeburg φιλοδοξεί να δημιουργήσει ένα φάρμακο από το ελληνικό τσάι (πρόκειται συγκεκριμένα για την ποικιλία “sideritis scardica” που ενδημεί κυρίως στη Μακεδονία) σε μορφή χαπιού. Τα οφέλη θα είναι πολλά, «θα είναι συμπυκνωμένο, οπότε η δράση του θα είναι ακόμα πιο αποτελεσματική, ενώ ως χάπι θα είναι πιο εύχρηστο».

Μεγάλες ποσότητες Φυσικά, για να ολοκληρωθεί η διαδικασία απαιτούνται πολύ μεγάλες ποσότητες. «Παραγγέλνουμε τόνους για να εξυπηρετήσουμε όλους τους ασθενείς», τονίζει. Ωστόσο, ο καθηγητής δε μας κρύβει ότι «έχουμε ξεκινήσει να καλλιεργούμε τσάι σε κάποιες εκτάσεις στη Βουλγαρία, που συγγενεύουν κλιματολογικά και εδαφολογικά με τα βουνά της Μακεδονίας». Και στην εύλογη απορία μας, απαντά: «Δεν είχαμε πια την οικονομική δυνατότητα να εισάγουμε από την Ελλάδα. Από τη στιγμή που έγινε αντιληπτό το έντονο ενδιαφέρον μας, η τιμή του προϊόντος αυξήθηκε 600%».

http://news.kathimerini.gr

Αναδημοσίευση από: http://tsopanos.blogspot.com

Αλλά προσοχή

Με εξαφάνιση κινδυνεύει το τσάι του βουνού...

tsaivounou.jpg

ΠΡΟΣΟΧΗ η ορθή συλλογή του γίνεται την περίοδο της ανθοφορίας του (Ιούνιο με Ιούλιο) και κόβεται μόνο το στέλεχος με τα άνθη ώστε να εξασφαλιστεί ο πολλαπλασιασμός του είδους μέσω των σπόρων. Εως και 5 τόνους εκτιμάται ότι μπορούν να αποψιλώσουν επιτήδειοι μέσα σε μια… καλή χρονιά.

Edited by madskier

Τα βιολογικά τρόφιμα δεν είναι ούτε πιο θρεπτικά ούτε κατ’ ανάγκη πιο ασφαλή

organic110_040912.jpg

Τα βιολογικά (οργανικά) τρόφιμα -αγροτικά προϊόντα, γαλακτοκομικά και κρέατα- δεν είναι περισσότερο θρεπτικά από τα συμβατικά, ενώ είναι εξίσου πιθανό να είναι μολυσμένα με ορισμένα βακτήρια, σύμφωνα με μία νέα αμερικανική επιστημονική μελέτη. Από την άλλη, όμως, σύμφωνα με τους επιστήμονες, τα βιολογικά αγροτικά και κτηνοτροφικά προϊόντα είναι λιγότερο πιθανό να περιέχουν υπολείμματα παρασιτοκτόνων ή να φιλοξενούν μικρόβια ανθεκτικά στα αντιβιοτικά.

Αν και από τόπο σε τόπο διαφέρουν οι πρακτικές που εφαρμόζονται στις βιολογικές φάρμες, τα προϊόντα τους σε γενικές γραμμές αναπτύσσονται χωρίς τη χρήση χημικών φαρμάκων, αντιβιοτικών και ορμονών, ενώ δεν περιέχουν γενετικά τροποποιημένους οργανισμούς. Όμως, η νέα έρευνα δείχνει ότι η αντίληψη των καταναλωτών πως τα βιολογικά προϊόντα είναι πάντα πιο θρεπτικά και ασφαλή για την υγεία, δεν είναι κατ' ανάγκη σωστή. Έτσι, παραμένουν ασαφή τα συγκριτικά οφέλη για την υγεία από την κατανάλωσή τους, με δεδομένο μάλιστα ότι τα βιολογικά τρόφιμα είναι πολύ ακριβότερα από τα συμβατικά (συχνά έχουν έως διπλάσια τιμή).

Η νέα μελέτη, με επικεφαλής την δρα Κρίσταλ Σμιθ- Σπάνγκλερ της Ιατρικής Σχολής του πανεπιστημίου Στάνφορντ, που δημοσιεύθηκε στο αμερικανικό ιατρικό περιοδικό «Annals of Internal Medicine», σύμφωνα με το πρακτορείο Ρόιτερ, αξιολόγησε τα δεδομένα από 237 σχετικές έρευνες που συνέκριναν τη διατροφική αξία των βιολογικών και των συμβατικών τροφών και τις τυχόν διαφορές στο επίπεδο μικροβίων που περιέχουν. Η λεγόμενη μετα-ανάλυση -η πιο εκτενής που έχει γίνει μέχρι σήμερα- περιέλαβε όλα τα είδη τροφίμων: φρούτα, λαχανικά, δημητριακά, γάλα, αυγά, κρέας κ.α.

Από τη σύγκριση δεν προκύπτει κάποια αξιοσημείωτη διαφορά ανάμεσα στις δύο κατηγορίες προϊόντων όσον αφορά την περιεκτικότητά τους σε βιταμίνες (με εξαίρεση τον ελαφρώς περισσότερο φώσφορο στα βιολογικά). Επίσης δεν βρέθηκε κάποια διαφορά στην περιεκτικότητα σε πρωτεΐνες και λίπη, αν και υπάρχουν ενδείξεις ότι το βιολογικό γάλα περιέχει περισσότερα ωμέγα-3 λιπαρά οξέα.

Ειδικότερα στα φρούτα και τα λαχανικά, δεν διαπιστώθηκε ότι τα βιολογικά υπερτερούν σε θρεπτική αξία. «Παρά την ευρέως διαδεδομένη αντίληψη ότι τα βιολογικά προϊόντα είναι πιο θρεπτικά από τα συμβατικά, δεν βρήκαμε αξιόπιστα στοιχεία που να υποστηρίζουν αυτή την αντίληψη», όπως αναφέρουν οι ερευνητές.

Από την άλλη, διαπιστώθηκε ότι τα βιολογικά και τα συμβατικά τρόφιμα είναι εξίσου πιθανό να είναι μολυσμένα με παθογόνους μικροοργανισμούς, όπως κολοβακτηρίδια (E.coli) και σαλμονέλα. Περίπου το 7% των βιολογικών προϊόντων και το 6% των συμβατικών βρέθηκαν να περιέχουν κολοβακτηρίδια, ενώ τα αντίστοιχα ποσοστά για τη σαλμονέλα ήσαν 34% (τα βιολογικά) και 35% (τα συμβατικά).

Αντίθετα, υπήρχε αισθητή διαφορά στη μόλυνση με παρασιτοκτόνα- εντομοκτόνα (7% στα βιολογικά έναντι 38% στα συμβατικά) και στα μικρόβια που είναι ανθεκτικά σε αντιβιοτικά (το βιολογικό/οργανικό κρέας είχε κατά μέσο όρο 33% μικρότερη περιεκτικότητα σε αυτά τα βακτήρια σε σχέση με το συμβατικό κρέας). Πάντως, είναι αξιοσημείωτο ότι, αν και σε μικρότερο βαθμό, τα βιολογικά προϊόντα δεν είναι απαλλαγμένα τελείως (100%) από παρασιτοκτόνα- εντομοκτόνα.

«Είναι αδύνατο να πει κανείς, με βάση αυτήν τη μελέτη, αν η μία μέθοδος καλλιέργειας είναι καλύτερη από την άλλη», δήλωσε ο ερευνητής Τζιν Λέστερ, ειδικός στη φυσιολογία των φυτών στην Υπηρεσία Αγροτικών Ερευνών του υπουργείου Γεωργίας των ΗΠΑ. Όπως είπε, αν και τα νέα ευρήματα είναι ενδιαφέροντα, δεν μπορούν να θεωρηθούν οριστικά, με δεδομένη τη μεγάλη ποικιλομορφία στις βιολογικές/ οργανικές πρακτικές και στην υπάρχουσα δυσκολία να γίνουν διαχρονικές συγκρίσεις.

«Δεν υπάρχει μεγάλη διαφορά ανάμεσα στα βιολογικά και στα οργανικά τρόφιμα, όσον αφορά έναν ενήλικο που θέλει να επιλέξει με βάση μόνο την υγεία του», δήλωσε η ερευνήτρια Ντένα Μπραβάτα. Σημειωτέον ότι ακόμα δεν υπάρχουν μακρόχρονες έρευνες (διάρκειας άνω των δύο ετών) που να συγκρίνουν τις τυχόν διαφορές στις επιπτώσεις για την υγεία μεταξύ όσων τρώνε μόνο συμβατικά και όσων τρώνε μόνο βιολογικά προϊόντα.

Σύμφωνα πάντως με τους ερευνητές, πέρα από τα θέματα της υγείας, υπάρχουν άλλοι λόγοι που θα μπορούσε κανείς να προτιμήσει τα βιολογικά προϊόντα, όπως η (πιθανή) καλύτερη γεύση, το ενδιαφέρον του για το περιβάλλον και τα ζώα κ.α.

Πηγή: ΑΜΠΕ

http://portal.kathimerini.gr/4dcgi/_w_articles_kathciv_1_04/09/2012_459587

Νίφει!

Ποιους κινδύνους διατρέχουν τα ζωτικά μας όργανα από την καθιστική ζωή; Η σύγχρονη ζωή είναι απόλυτα συνυφασμένη με την...καρέκλα του γραφείου, τον καναπέ στο σπίτι και το κρεβάτι. Με απλά λόγια, η καθιστική ζωή κυριαρχεί όλο το 24ωρo.

Οι γιατροί εφιστούν την προσοχή μας και επιμένουν στην τακτική, αν όχι καθημερινή, άσκηση αλλά ο χρόνος του σύγχρονου ανθρώπου δεν φτάνει πάντα. Μήπως αν μάθουμε τι προκαλεί η καθιστική ζωή στα ζωτικά μας όργανα, πειστούμε να ...σηκωθούμε;.

Καρδιά

Οι μύες καίνε λιγότερο λίπος και το αίμα ρέει με πιο αργό ρυθμό κατά τη διάρκεια μιας καθιστικής ημέρας, επιτρέποντας στα λιπαρά οξέα να φράξουν πιο εύκολα την καρδιά. Η παρατεταμένη καθιστική εργασία μάλιστα έχει συνδεθεί με την υψηλή πίεση του αίματος και τα αυξημένα επίπεδα χοληστερόλης, ενώ όσοι από μας κάνουμε καθιστική ζωή υπερδιπλασιάζουμε τις πιθανότητες να νοσήσουμε από καρδιαγγειακή νόσο.

Πάγκρεας

Το πάγκρεας παράγει ινσουλίνη, μια ορμόνη που μεταφέρει τη γλυκόζη στα κύτταρα για να έχουμε ενέργεια. Αλλά τα κύτταρα σε αδράνεια δεν ανταποκρίνονται τόσο εύκολα στην ινσουλίνη, έτσι ώστε το πάγκρεας να παράγει όλο και περισσότερη, γεγονός που μπορεί να οδηγήσει σε διαβήτη και άλλες ασθένειες.

Παχύ έντερο

Μελέτες έχουν συνδέσει την καθιστική ζωή με αυξημένες πιθανότητες εμφάνισης καρκίνου του παχέoς εντέρου, του στήθους και του ενδομητρίου. Ο λόγος είναι ασαφής, αλλά μία θεωρία είναι ότι η περίσσεια ινσουλίνης ενθαρρύνει την ανάπτυξη των κυττάρων. Ένας άλλος λόγος είναι ότι η τακτική κίνηση ενισχύει τα φυσικά αντιοξειδωτικά που σκοτώνουν τις ελεύθερες ρίζες, οι οποίες προκαλούν καρκίνο.

Κοιλιακοί μύες

Όταν στεκόμαστε, κινούμαστε ή ακόμα και όταν καθόμαστε σε σωστή, όρθια στάση, οι κοιλιακοί μύες βρίσκονται σε ευθεία. Αλλά όταν γέρνουμε σε μία καρέκλα απλά αδρανούν. Η συνεχόμενη κυρτή στάση του σώματος, λόγω της καθιστικήw ζωής μπορεί να οδηγήσει στη δημιουργία μιας φυσικής «αψίδας» της σπονδυλικής στήλης, δηλαδή σε λόρδωση.

Γοφοί

Οι ευέλικτοι γοφοί βοηθούν στη διατήρηση της καλύτερης ισορροπίας αλλά η χρόνια καθιστική ζωή, που εμποδίζει την επέκταση του ισχίου, ώστε να γίνει σφριγηλό, περιορίζει το εύρος της κίνησης και το μήκος του διασκελισμού. Μελέτες έχουν δείξει ότι η μειωμένη κινητικότητα του ισχίου είναι ένας βασικός λόγος που οι ηλικιωμένοι έχουν την τάση να πέφτουν.

Γλουτοί

Η καθιστική κίνηση απαιτεί την απόλυτη αδράνεια των γλουτών και αυτό είναι κάτι που δυστυχώς γίνεται συνήθεια. Οι μαλακοί γλουτοί βλάπτουν τη σταθερότητα, την ικανότητα να σπρώξουμε ή να διατηρήσουμε ένα ισχυρό βήμα.

Κάτω άκρα

Η μακροχρόνια καθιστική ζωή επιβραδύνει την κυκλοφορία του αίματος, η οποία προκαλεί τη συγκέντρωση υγρού στα πόδια. Τα προβλήματα κυμαίνονται από πρησμένους αστραγάλους και φλεβίτιδα μέχρι επικίνδυνες θρομβώσεις του αίματος.

Οστά

Δραστηριότητες όπως το περπάτημα και το τρέξιμο τονώνουν το ισχίο και τα οστά στα κάτω άκρα, ενισχύοντας τον οργανισμό να «χτίσει» δυνατά, πυκνά και ισχυρά οστά. Οι επιστήμονες αποδίδουν εν μέρει την πρόσφατη αύξηση σε περιπτώσεις οστεοπόρωσης στην έλλειψη δραστηριότητας.

Εγκέφαλος

Οι κινήσεις των μυών αντλούν φρέσκο αίμα και οξυγόνο μέσω του εγκεφάλου και προκαλούν έτσι την απελευθέρωση όλων των ειδών των χημικών ουσιών του. Όταν όμως συνηθίζουμε να παραμένουμε καθισμένοι για το μεγαλύτερο μέρος της ημέρας, η έκκριση των ουσιών αυτών επιβραδύνεται, μειώνοντας παράλληλα τις λειτουργίες του εγκεφάλου.

2780682_orig.jpg

Λαιμός

Ο χώρος εργασίας, το βασίλειο δηλαδή της καθιστικής ζωής, όπου η κλασική κίνηση είναι να γέρνουμε προς τα εμπρός, προς το πληκτρολόγιο ή προς το ακουστικό του τηλεφώνου μπορεί να είναι ο κύριος υπεύθυνος για διάφορα αυχενικά προβλήματα, τα οποία μπορούν κάλλιστα να οδηγήσουν σε μόνιμες ανισορροπίες.

Ώμοι και πλάτη

Ακολουθώντας την κίνηση του λαιμού, έτσι και οι ώμοι και η πλάτη μπορούν να οδηγήσουν σε αντίστοιχα προβλήματα της σπονδυλικής στήλης.

Σπονδυλική στήλη

Όταν κινούμαστε, οι μαλακοί δίσκοι μεταξύ των σπονδύλων διαστέλλονται και συστέλλονται σαν σφουγγάρια, «απολαμβάνοντας» φρέσκο αίμα και θρεπτικά συστατικά. Αλλά όταν καθόμαστε για μεγάλο χρονικό διάστημα, οι δίσκοι είναι άνισα στριμωγμένοι και το κολλαγόνο σκληραίνει γύρω από τους τένοντες και τους συνδέσμους, που υποβαστάζουν τους δίσκους της σπονδυλικής στήλης.

Δίσκοι

Οι άνθρωποι που κάθονται περισσότερο, διατρέχουν μεγαλύτερο κίνδυνο για οσφυϊκή δισκοκήλη. Ένας μυς που ονομάζεται μείζων ψοΐτης εκφύεται από το 12ο θωρακικό και τους πέντε οσφυικούς σπονδύλους και καταφύεται στο μηριαίο οστό.

Με απλά λόγια, σύμφωνα με το clickatlife, ταξιδεύει μέσα στην κοιλιακή κοιλότητα και, όταν σφίγγει, τραβά την άνω οσφυϊκή μοίρα της σπονδυλικής στήλης προς τα εμπρός. Αποτέλεσμα αυτού, είναι το πάνω μέρος του σωματικού μας βάρους να στηρίζεται εξ' ολοκλήρου στο ισχιακό κύρτωμα, αντί να διανέμεται κατά μήκος του τόξου της σπονδυλικής στήλης.

Αν ούτε με αυτά τα στοιχεία πειστήκατε, απλά να θυμάστε ότι σύμφωνα με έρευνες, οι άνθρωποι που παρακολούθησαν τις περισσότερες ώρες τηλεόραση σε μια μελέτη που διήρκησε 8,5 χρόνια είχαν 61% μεγαλύτερο κίνδυνο θανάτου από εκείνους που έβλεπαν λιγότερο από μία ώρα την ημέρα.

Πηγη: http://www.eplirofor...-kai-ygeia.html

Υ.Γ. δεν παει στο τιπκ της διατροφης. μηπως να φτιαξουμε ενα γενικο ''Υγεια"?

• Like 1

"...the monarch of mountains: they crowned him long time ago οn a throne of rocks, in a robe of clouds, with a diadem of snow''

(Lord Byron about Mont Blanc)

Όλγα δε παίζει καλά το λινκ

"Ω ξειν', αγγέλειν ότι τήδε κείμεθα της χιονοδρομίας πειθόμενοι"

gifmaker_me2.gif.fbe136ebed00091d62648fa0ffc991ff.gif

Austrian Level 2 Ski Instructor

Don’t Believe the Hype – 10 Persistent Cancer Myths Debunked

March 27, 2014 | by Kat Arney

10-myths-hero.jpg?itok=v6BQgZaq

photo credit: Cancer Research UK

Google ‘cancer’ and you’ll be faced with millions of web pages. And the number of YouTube videos you find if you look up ‘cancer cure’ is similarly vast.

The problem is that much of the information out there is at best inaccurate, or at worst dangerously misleading. There are plenty of evidence-based, easy to understand pages about cancer, but there are just as many, if not more, pages spreading myths.

And it can be hard to distinguish fact from fiction, as much of the inaccurate information looks and sounds perfectly plausible. But if you scratch the surface and look at the evidence, many continually perpetuated ‘truths’ become unstuck.

In this post, we want to set the record straight on 10 cancer myths we regularly encounter. Driven by the evidence, not by rhetoric or anecdote, we describe what the reality of research actually shows to be true.

Myth 1: Cancer is a man-made, modern disease

Pyramids.jpg

It might be more prominent in the public consciousness now than in times gone by, but cancerisn’t just a ‘modern’, man-made disease of Western society. Cancer has existed as long as humans have. It was described thousands of years ago by Egyptian and Greek physicians, and researchers have discovered tell-tale signs of cancer in a 3,000-year-old skeleton.

While it’s certainly true that global lifestyle-related diseases like cancer are on the rise, the biggest risk factor for cancer is age.

The simple fact is that more people are living long enough to develop cancer because of our success in tackling infectious diseases and other historical causes of death such as malnutrition. It’s perfectly normal for DNA damage in our cells to build up as we age, and such damage can lead to cancer developing.

We’re also now able to diagnose cancers more accurately, thanks to advances in screening, imaging and pathology.

Yes, lifestyle, diet and other things like air pollution collectively have a huge impact on our risk of cancer – smoking for instance is behind a quarter of all cancer deaths in the UK – but that’s not the same as saying it’s a modern, man-made disease. There are plenty of natural causes of cancer – for example, one in six worldwide cancers is caused by viruses and bacteria.

Myth 2: Superfoods prevent cancer

Blueberries.jpg

Blueberries, beetroot, broccoli, garlic, green tea… the list goes on. Despite thousands of websites claiming otherwise, there’s no such thing as a ‘superfood’. It’s a marketing term used to sell products and has no scientific basis.

That’s not to say you shouldn’t think about what you eat. Some foods are clearly healthier than others. The odd blueberry or mug of green tea certainly could be part of a healthy, balanced diet. Stocking up on fruits and veg is a great idea, and eating a range of different veg is helpful too, but the specific vegetables you choose doesn’t really matter.

Our bodies are complex and cancer is too, so it’s gross oversimplification to say that any one food, on its own, could have a major influence over your chance of developing cancer.

The steady accumulation of evidence over several decades points to a simple, but not very newsworthy fact that the best way to reduce your risk of cancer is by a series of long-term healthy behaviours such as not smoking, keeping active, keeping a healthy body weight and cutting back on alcohol.

Myth 3: ‘Acidic’ diets cause cancer

Lemon.jpg

Some myths about cancer are surprisingly persistent, despite flying in the face of basic biology. One such idea is that overly ‘acidic’ diets cause your blood to become ‘too acidic’, which can increase your risk of cancer. The proposed answer: increase your intake of healthier ‘alkaline’ foods like green vegetables and fruits (including, paradoxically, lemons).

This is biological nonsense. True, cancer cells can’t live in an overly alkaline environment, but neither can any of the other cells in your body.

Blood is usually slightly alkaline. This is tightly regulated by the kidneys within a very narrow and perfectly healthy range. It can’t be changed for any meaningful amount of time by what you eat. And while eating green veg is certainly healthy, that’s not because of any effect on how acid or alkaline your body is.

There is something called acidosis. This is a physiological condition that happens when your kidneys and lungs can’t keep your body’s pH (a measure of acidity) in balance. It is often the result of serious illness or poisoning. It can be life-threatening and needs urgent medical attention, but it’s not down to overly acidic diets.

We know that the immediate environment around cancer cells (the microenvironment) can become acidic. This is due to differences in the way that tumours create energy and use oxygen compared with healthy tissue. Researchers are working hard to understand how this happens, in order to develop more effective cancer treatments.

But there’s no good evidence to prove that diet can manipulate whole body pH, or that it has an impact on cancer.

Myth 4: Cancer has a sweet tooth

Sugar.jpg

Another idea we see a lot is that sugar apparently ‘feeds cancer cells’, suggesting that it should be completely banished from a patient’s diet.

This is an unhelpful oversimplification of a highly complex area that we’re only just starting to understand.

‘Sugar’ is a catch-all term. It refers to a range of molecules including simple sugars found in plants, glucose and fructose. The white stuff in the bowl on your table is called sucrose and is made from glucose and fructose stuck together. All sugars are carbohydrates, commonly known as carbs – molecules made from carbon, hydrogen and oxygen.

Carbs – whether from cake or a carrot – get broken down in our digestive system to release glucose and fructose. These get absorbed into the bloodstream to provide energy for us to live.

All our cells, cancerous or not, use glucose for energy. Because cancer cells are usually growing very fast compared with healthy cells, they have a particularly high demand for this fuel. There’s also evidence that they use glucose and produce energy in a different way from healthy cells.

Researchers are working to understand the differences in energy usage in cancers compared with healthy cells, and trying to exploit them to develop better treatments (including the interesting but far from proven drug DCA).

But all this doesn’t mean that sugar from cakes, sweets and other sugary foods specifically feeds cancer cells, as opposed to any other type of carbohydrate. Our body doesn’t pick and choose which cells get what fuel. It converts pretty much all the carbs we eat to glucose, fructose and other simple sugars, and they get taken up by tissues when they need energy.

While it’s very sensible to limit sugary foods as part of an overall healthy diet and to avoid putting on weight, that’s a far cry from saying that sugary foods specifically feed cancer cells.

Both the ‘acidic diet’ and ‘sugar feeds cancer’ myths distort sensible dietary advice. And when it comes to offering diet tips, research shows that the same boring healthy eating advice still holds true. Fruit, vegetables, fibre, white meat and fish are good. Too much fat, salt, sugar, red or processed meat and alcohol are less so.

Myth 5: Cancer is a fungus – and sodium bicarbonate is the cure

Fungi.jpg

This ‘theory’ comes from the not-very-observant observation that “cancer is always white”.

One obvious problem with this idea – apart from the fact that cancer cells are clearly not fungal in origin – is that cancer isn’t always white. Some tumours are. But some aren’t. Ask any pathologist or cancer surgeon, or have a look on Google Image search (but maybe not after lunch…).

Proponents of this theory say that cancer is caused by infection by the fungus candida, and that tumours are actually the body’s attempt at protecting itself from this infection.

But there’s no evidence to show that this is true.

Furthermore, plenty of perfectly healthy people can be infected with candida – it’s part of the very normal array of microbes that live in (and on) all of us. Usually our immune system keeps candida in check, but infections can get more serious in people with compromised immune systems, such as those who are HIV-positive.

The ‘simple solution’ is apparently to inject tumours with baking soda (sodium bicarbonate). This isn’t even the treatment used to treat proven fungal infections, let alone cancer. On the contrary,there’s good evidence that high doses of sodium bicarbonate can lead to serious – even fatal – consequences.

Some studies suggest that sodium bicarbonate can affect cancers transplanted into mice or cells grown in the lab, by neutralising the acidity in the microenvironment immediately around a tumour. And researchers in the US are running a small clinical trial investigating whether sodium bicarbonate capsules can help to reduce cancer pain and to find the maximum dose that can be tolerated, rather than testing whether it has any effect on tumours.

As far as we are aware, there have been no published clinical trials of sodium bicarbonate as a treatment for cancer.

It’s also worth pointing out that it’s not clear whether it’s possible to give doses of sodium bicarbonate that can achieve any kind of meaningful effect on cancer in humans, although it’s something that researchers are investigating.

Because the body strongly resists attempts to change its pH, usually by getting rid of bicarbonate through the kidneys, there’s a risk that doses large enough to significantly affect the pH around a tumour might cause a serious condition known as alkalosis.

One estimate suggests that a dose of around 12 grams of baking soda per day (based on a 65 kg adult) would only be able to counteract the acid produced by a tumour roughly one cubic millimetre in size. But doses of more than about 30 grams per day are likely to cause severe health problems – you do the maths.

Myth 6: There’s a miracle cancer cure…

Cures.jpg

From cannabis to coffee enemas, the internet is awash with videos and personal anecdotes about ‘natural’ ‘miracle’ cures for cancer.

But extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence – YouTube videos and Facebook posts are emphatically not scientific evidence and aren’t the same as good-quality, peer-reviewed evidence.

In many cases it’s impossible to tell whether patients featured in such anecdotal sources have been ‘cured’ by any particular alternative treatment or not. We know nothing about their medical diagnosis, stage of disease or outlook, or even if they actually had cancer in the first place. For instance, we don’t know what other cancer treatments they had.

And we only hear about the success stories – what about the people who have tried it and have not survived? The dead can’t speak, and often people who make bold claims for ‘miracle’ cures only pick their best cases, without presenting the full picture.

This highlights the importance of publishing data from peer-reviewed, scientifically rigorous lab research and clinical trials. Firstly, because conducting proper clinical studies enables researchers to prove that a prospective cancer treatment is safe and effective. And secondly, because publishing these data allows doctors around the world to judge for themselves and use it for the benefit of their patients.

This is the standard to which all cancer treatments should be held.

That’s not to say the natural world isn’t a source of potential treatments, from aspirin (willow bark) to penicillin (mould). For example, the cancer drug taxol was first extracted from the bark and needles of the Pacific Yew tree.

But that’s a far cry from saying you should chew bark to combat a tumour. It’s an effective treatment because the active ingredient has been purified and tested in clinical trials. So we know that it’s safe and effective, and what dose to prescribe.

Of course people with cancer want to beat their disease by any means possible. And it’s completely understandable to be searching high and low for potential cures. But our advice is to be wary of anything labelled a ‘miracle cure’, especially if people are trying to sell it to you.

Wikipedia has this excellent list of ineffective cancer treatments that are often touted as miracle cures, which is worth a browse. And if you want to know about the scientific evidence about cannabis, cannabinoids and cancer – a topic we’re often asked about – please take a look at our extensive blog post on the subject.

Myth 7: … and Big Pharma are suppressing it

Pharma.jpg

Hand in hand with the idea that there is a cornucopia of ‘miracle cures’ is the idea that governments, the pharmaceutical industry and even charities are colluding to hide the cure for cancer because they make so much money out of existing treatments.

Whatever the particular ‘cure’ being touted, the logic is usually the same: it’s readily available, cheap and can’t be patented, so the medical establishment is suppressing it in order to line its own pockets. But, as we’ve written before, there’s no conspiracy – sometimes it just doesn’t work.

There’s no doubt that the pharmaceutical industry has a number of issues with transparency and clinical trials that it needs to address (the book Bad Pharma by Ben Goldacre is a handy primer). We push regulators and pharmaceutical companies hard to make sure that effective drugs are made available at a fair price to the NHS – although it’s important to remember that developing and trialling new drugs costs a lot of money, which companies need to recoup.

Problems with conventional medicine don’t automatically prove that alternative ‘cures’ work. To use a metaphor, just because cars sometimes crash doesn’t mean that flying carpets are a viable transport option.

It simply doesn’t make sense that pharmaceutical companies would want to suppress a potential cure. Finding a highly effective therapy would guarantee huge worldwide sales.

And the argument that treatments can’t be patented doesn’t hold up. Pharma companies are not stupid, and they are quick to jump on promising avenues for effective therapies. There are always ways to repackage and patent molecules, which would give them a return on the investment required to develop and test them in clinical trials (a cost that can run into many millions) if the treatment turns out to work.

It’s also worth pointing out that charities such as Cancer Research UK and government-funded scientists are free to investigate promising treatments without a profit motive. And it’s hard to understand why NHS doctors – who often prescribe generic, off-patent drugs – wouldn’t use cheap treatments if they’d been shown to be effective in clinical trials.

For example, we’re funding large-scale trials of aspirin – a drug first made in 1897, and now one of the most widely-used off-patent drugs in the world. We’re researching whether it can prevent bowel cancer in people at high risk, reduce the side effects of chemotherapy, and even prevent cancer coming back and improve survival.

Finally, it’s worth remembering that we are all human – even politicians and Big Pharma executives – and cancer can affect anyone. People in pharmaceutical companies, governments, charities and the wider ‘medical establishment’ all can and do die of cancer too.

Here at Cancer Research UK we have seen loved ones and colleagues go through cancer. Many of them have survived. Many have not. To suggest that we are – collectively and individually – hiding ‘the cure’ is not only absurd, it’s offensive to the global community of dedicated scientists, to the staff and supporters of cancer research organisations such as Cancer Research UK and, most importantly, to cancer patients and their families.

Myth 8: Cancer treatment kills more than it cures

Surgery.jpg

Let’s be clear, cancer treatment – whether chemotherapy, radiotherapy or surgery – is no walk in the park. The side effects can be tough. After all, treatments that are designed to kill cancer cells will inevitably affect healthy cells too.

And sometimes, sadly, treatment doesn’t work. We know that it’s very difficult to treat late-stage cancer that has spread throughout the body, and while treatment can provide relief from symptoms and prolong life, it’s not going to be a cure for very advanced cancers.

Surgery is still the most effective treatment we have for cancer, provided it’s diagnosed early enough for an operation to be done. And radiotherapy helps cure more people than cancer drugs. Yet chemotherapy and other cancer drugs have a very important part to play in cancer treatment – in some cases helping to cure the disease, and in others helping to prolong survival.

The claims on the internet that chemotherapy is “only 3 per cent effective” are highly misleading and outdated, and are explored in more depth in these two posts from the Science Based Medicine blog.

We also wrote this post in response to concerns that chemotherapy might “encourage cancer”.

It important to point out that in an increasing number of cases, the drugs do work. For example, more than 96 per cent of all men are now cured of testicular cancer, compared to fewer than 70 per cent in the 1970s thanks in part to a drug we helped to develop called cisplatin. And three-quarters of children with cancer are now cured, compared with around a quarter in the late 1960s – most of them are alive today directly thanks to chemotherapy.

We know that we still have a long way to go until we have effective, kinder treatments for all types of cancer. And it’s important that doctors, patients and their families are realistic and honest about the best options for treatment, especially when cancer is very advanced.

It may be better to opt for treatment aimed at reducing pain and symptoms rather than attempting to cure the disease (palliative care). Balancing quality and quantity of life is always going to be an issue in cancer treatment, and it’s one that each patient must decide for themselves.

Myth 9: We’ve made no progress in fighting cancer

ChemoProgress2.jpg

This simply isn’t true. Thanks to advances in research, long-term (10+ years) survival from cancer has doubled in the UK over the past 40 years, and death rates have fallen by 10 per cent over the past decade alone. This article by our chief clinician, Professor Peter Johnson, outlines some of the key facts.

By definition, these figures relate to people treated at least 10 years ago. It’s likely that the patients being diagnosed and treated today have an even better chance of survival.

To see how the picture has changed, make yourself a cuppa and settle down to watch this hour-long documentary we helped to make – The Enemy Within: 50 years of fighting cancer. From the early days of chemotherapy in the 50s and 60s to the latest ‘smart’ drugs and pinpoint-accurate radiotherapy, it highlights how far we’ve come over the years.

There’s still a long way to go. There are some cancers where progress has been much slower – such as lung, brain, pancreatic and oesophageal cancers. And when you lose someone you love to cancer, it can feel as though no progress has been made at all.

That’s why we’re working so hard to beat cancer sooner, to make sure that nobody loses their life prematurely to the disease.

Myth 10: Sharks don’t get cancer

Shark.jpg

Yes they do.

This excellent article goes into why the myth about the cancer-free shark has been so persistent.

Πηγή: http://www.iflscienc...-myths-debunked

• Like 3

Νίφει!

No more fillings as dentists reveal new tooth decay treatment

Scientists in London develop pain-free filling that allows teeth to repair themselves without drilling or injections

Dentist-011.jpg

The new treatment, Electrically Accelerated and Enhanced Remineralisation (EAER), could be available within three years. Photograph: Hermes Morrison 2/Alamy

Scientists have developed a new pain-free filling that allows cavities to be repaired without drilling or injections.

The tooth-rebuilding technique developed at King's College London does away with fillings and instead encourages teeth to repair themselves.

Tooth decay is normally removed by drilling, after which the cavity is filled with a material such as amalgam or composite resin.

The new treatment, called Electrically Accelerated and Enhanced Remineralisation (EAER), accelerates the natural movement of calcium and phosphate minerals into the damaged tooth.

A two-step process first prepares the damaged area of enamel, then uses a tiny electric current to push minerals into the repair site. It could be available within three years.

Professor Nigel Pitts, from King's College London's Dental Institute, said: "The way we treat teeth today is not ideal. When we repair a tooth by putting in a filling, that tooth enters a cycle of drilling and re-filling as, ultimately, each 'repair' fails.

"Not only is our device kinder to the patient and better for their teeth, but it's expected to be at least as cost-effective as current dental treatments. Along with fighting tooth decay, our device can also be used to whiten teeth."

A spinout company, Reminova, has been set up to commercialise the research. Based in Perth, Scotland, it is in the process of seeking private investment to develop EAER.

The company is the first to emerge from the King's College London Dental Innovation and Translation Centre, which was set up in January to take novel technologies and turn them into new products and practices.

King's College is a participant in MedCity, a project launched by the London mayor, Boris Johnson, to promote entrepreneurship in the London-Oxford-Cambridge life sciences "golden triangle".

The chairman of MedCity, Kit Malthouse, said: "It's brilliant to see the really creative research taking place at King's making its way out of the lab so quickly and being turned into a new device that has the potential to make a real difference to the dental health and patient experience of people with tooth decay."

Πηγή: http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/jun/16/fillings-dentists-tooth-decay-treatment?CMP=fb_gu

Νίφει!

aspirin.jpg__800x600_q85_crop.jpg

One Aspirin a Day Helps Keep Cancer Away

According to the largest analysis conducted to date, daily doses of aspirin significantly reduces the risk of getting some common cancers

By Rachel Nuwer

SMITHSONIAN.COM

According to a new paper, around 130,000 deaths from cancer could be prevented in the U.K. alone if 50- to 64-year-olds simply took a low-dose aspirin each day for ten years, the Guardian reports. Taking aspirin, the researchers said, seems to be the most important lifestyle factor after stopping smoking and reducing obesity for lowering cancer risk.

The Queen Mary University of London researchers behind the findings examined the results of more than 200 studies that investigated the potential benefits and harms of regularly taking aspirin, the BBC reports. Aspirin is known to reduce some cancer risk as well as heart attack risk, but it can also cause potentially fatal stomach bleeds. Until now, the medical community has been unsure about whether or not taking aspirin as a therapeutic preventative medication was worth that risk.

The results of the analysis showed that aspirin reduces the risk of death by stomach, bowel and oesophageal cancer by up to 40 percent, the BBC says. Risk of death by breast, prostate and lung cancer was also reduced, but to a lower extent. The beneficial effects, the researchers said, require at least five to 10 years of regular aspirin-taking. Those effects, however, will roll over if a person stops taking aspirin after 10 years, for example.

Aspirin also reduces risk of having a heart attack or dying of a heart attack, the team found. However, while it reduces the risk of having a stroke, it increases the risk of death from stroke by 21 percent, the Guardian explains. It also increased the risk of stomach bleeds among 60-year-olds from 2.2 percent to 3.6 percent. As the BBC puts it, while well over 100,000 lives could be saved if 50-to-64-year-olds took aspirin, around 18,000 lives would be lost due to the side effects. Ultimately, the researchers think that the risk is outweighed by the potential benefits, although they especially advise persons who drink or smoke heavily or who are at high risk of bleeding to speak with their doctor before beginning a long-term aspirin regime, the BBC writes.

Πηγή: http://www.smithsoni...0952265/?no-ist

• Like 1

Νίφει!

Missing link found between brain, immune system -- with major disease implications

June 2, 2015 | by Editor

jn2.15%20lymph_0.jpg?itok=IDRQ08mW

Maps of the lymphatic system: old (left) and updated to reflect UVA's discovery. Credit: University of Virginia Health System

Implications profound for neurological diseases from autism to Alzheimer's to multiple sclerosis

In a stunning discovery that overturns decades of textbook teaching, researchers at the University of Virginia (UVA) School of Medicine have determined that the brain is directly connected to the immune system by vessels previously thought not to exist. That such vessels could have escaped detection when the lymphatic system has been so thoroughly mapped throughout the body is surprising on its own, but the true significance of the discovery lies in the effects it could have on the study and treatment of neurological diseases ranging from autism to Alzheimer's disease to multiple sclerosis.

"Instead of asking, 'How do we study the immune response of the brain?' 'Why do multiple sclerosis patients have the immune attacks?' now we can approach this mechanistically. Because the brain is like every other tissue connected to the peripheral immune system through meningeal lymphatic vessels," said Jonathan Kipnis, PhD, professor in the UVA Department of Neuroscience and director of UVA's Center for Brain Immunology and Glia (BIG). "It changes entirely the way we perceive the neuro-immune interaction. We always perceived it before as something esoteric that can't be studied. But now we can ask mechanistic questions."

"We believe that for every neurological disease that has an immune component to it, these vessels may play a major role," Kipnis said. "Hard to imagine that these vessels would not be involved in a [neurological] disease with an immune component."

New Discovery in Human Body

Kevin Lee, PhD, chairman of the UVA Department of Neuroscience, described his reaction to the discovery by Kipnis' lab: "The first time these guys showed me the basic result, I just said one sentence: 'They'll have to change the textbooks.' There has never been a lymphatic system for the central nervous system, and it was very clear from that first singular observation - and they've done many studies since then to bolster the finding - that it will fundamentally change the way people look at the central nervous system's relationship with the immune system."

Even Kipnis was skeptical initially. "I really did not believe there are structures in the body that we are not aware of. I thought the body was mapped," he said. "I thought that these discoveries ended somewhere around the middle of the last century. But apparently they have not."

'Very Well Hidden'

The discovery was made possible by the work of Antoine Louveau, PhD, a postdoctoral fellow in Kipnis' lab. The vessels were detected after Louveau developed a method to mount a mouse's meninges - the membranes covering the brain - on a single slide so that they could be examined as a whole. "It was fairly easy, actually," he said. "There was one trick: We fixed the meninges within the skullcap, so that the tissue is secured in its physiological condition, and then we dissected it. If we had done it the other way around, it wouldn't have worked."

After noticing vessel-like patterns in the distribution of immune cells on his slides, he tested for lymphatic vessels and there they were. The impossible existed. The soft-spoken Louveau recalled the moment: "I called Jony [Kipnis] to the microscope and I said, 'I think we have something.'"

As to how the brain's lymphatic vessels managed to escape notice all this time, Kipnis described them as "very well hidden" and noted that they follow a major blood vessel down into the sinuses, an area difficult to image. "It's so close to the blood vessel, you just miss it," he said. "If you don't know what you're after, you just miss it."

"Live imaging of these vessels was crucial to demonstrate their function, and it would not be possible without collaboration with Tajie Harris," Kipnis noted. Harris, a PhD, is an assistant professor of neuroscience and a member of the BIG center. Kipnis also saluted the "phenomenal" surgical skills of Igor Smirnov, a research associate in the Kipnis lab whose work was critical to the imaging success of the study.

Alzheimer's, Autism, MS and Beyond

The unexpected presence of the lymphatic vessels raises a tremendous number of questions that now need answers, both about the workings of the brain and the diseases that plague it. For example, take Alzheimer's disease. "In Alzheimer's, there are accumulations of big protein chunks in the brain," Kipnis said. "We think they may be accumulating in the brain because they're not being efficiently removed by these vessels." He noted that the vessels look different with age, so the role they play in aging is another avenue to explore. And there's an enormous array of other neurological diseases, from autism to multiple sclerosis, that must be reconsidered in light of the presence of something science insisted did not exist.

Note: Material may have been edited for length and content. For further information, please contact the cited source.

University of Virginia, Health System

Publication

Kipnis J et al. Structural and functional features of central nervous system lymphatic vessels. Nature, Published Online June 1 2015. doi: 10.1038/nature14432

πηγή: http://www.neuroscientistnews.com/research-news/missing-link-found-between-brain-immune-system-major-disease-implications

Νίφει!