Χρήστος Λάππας

Mirrorless Cameras (Με Εναλλασσόμενους Φακούς Χωρίς Πεντάπρισμα)

Nikon 1 V3: a quick summary

Published Mar 13, 2014 | By Jeff Keller

Last month we got to spend a short time with Nikon's latest 1-System camera: the V3. This camera is arguably the most enthusiast-oriented Nikon mirrorless yet, with an advanced autofocus system, twin control dials, super-fast continuous shooting (with AF), Raw support, and 1080/60p video. The V3 also supports an optional 2.36 million dot EVF as well as a grip that not only gives you something more substantial to hold on to, but also an additional shutter release, custom button, and control dial.

A sleeker look, but goodbye EVF (sort of)

V3_10_30_PD_front.jpg

The Nikon 1 V2 was a rather awkward-looking camera, with an angular body and pronounced 'hump' on the top for the built-in EVF. The V3 has a much more traditional rangefinder-style design and is not as tall as the V2 - but it's larger in every other dimension (and heavier, too) The reason it's not as tall is obvious: there's no longer a built-in EVF (but see below for more).

Build quality is solid, and the camera is easy to hold, and for those who want a more substantial grip, you can screw on the optional one shown later in the article.

In a move that will please enthusiasts (for the most part), the V3 now has three control dials (plus one more if you're using the grip). There's one on the front of the camera, another on the top, and a third around the four-way controller on the back of the camera. V3_back.jpg You can just catch the rear dial on the top plate in this photo, as well as the third dial that surrounds the four-way controller.

Something that enthusiasts may not appreciate is that none of the dials can directly control exposure compensation, even in full manual mode.

The V3 has a pair of customizable buttons (Fn1 and Fn2) - and, if you have the battery grip, you get a third.

As with other Nikon 1-Series cameras, the V3 does not have a standard hot shoe. Instead, it has Nikon's proprietary accessory port, to which you can attach a flash (there are two to choose from) or stereo microphone. The camera does have a built-in flash, with a guide number of 5 meters at ISO 100. V3_10_30_PD_LCD_3.jpg

While the V2 had a fixed LCD, the V3 has a tilting, 3" touchscreen with 1.04 million dots. As you'd expect, you can use the touchscreen to focus and take photos, and flip through photos in playback mode. The buttons on the left of the display tilt as well, as does the hidden infrared port for an optional wireless remote.

One other design-related thing to note is that the V3 now uses microSD cards instead of the traditional SD cards used by the V2. It's not really clear why they're using them, as there's plenty of room on the camera for a 'full size' SD card.

New sensor, new AF system

The V3 uses a new 18.4 megapixel CX-format (1"-type) CMOS sensor - up from 14.2MP on the V2. The sensor has no anti-aliasing (low-pass) filter, which promises higher resolution. But there's more to the new sensor than higher resolution. Both sensors have Hybrid Autofocus, which combines contrast and phase detection. The V3 has a large advantage over its predecessor, not only having more contrast detect areas (171 vs. 135), but more phase detect points as well (171 vs. 73).

All of those phase detect areas provide nearly 100% frame coverage, which gives the camera a lot more area in which to work with when it comes to subject tracking. The only camera that comes close to matching the V3's hybrid AF system is Sony's Alpha 6000.

Improvements in image processing now allow the V3 to shoot sequentially at 20 frames per second, with continuous autofocus. That's a number not even professional SLRs can match. (We'll see how accurate the AF system is when we spend more time with the V3.)

The new sensor allows 60p video recording, up from 60i on the V2. Recording time is limited to 10 minutes at the highest quality setting, though. There are a number of high speed modes as well, with the ability to shoot 720p video at 120 fps being the most notable.

Another unique movie function is Jump Cut, which captures video every other second. The V3 always has 20 full resolution stills in its buffer, and automatically throws out the bad ones, so when you press the shutter release, the camera will save what it considers the best shots.

Optional extras DF_N1000_back34r.jpg The DF-N1000 electronic viewfinder is bundled with the camera in the U.S., and optional in other markets

If you're missing the built-in EVF from the V2, fret not: Nikon will be offering one, which attaches to the camera's accessory shoe. The viewfinder has 2.36 million dots and covers 100% of the frame. An eye sensor will switch between the LCD and EVF automatically. GR_N1010_frt34l.jpg V3_10_30_PD_DFN1000_GRN1010_top.jpg The GR-N1010 grip alone V3 with grip and EVF

Another accessory is the GR-N1010 grip, which gives you something much more substantial to hold onto, plus another shutter release button, customizable button number three, and another control dial.

Both of these accessories will be included in the U.S., but are optional in other regions. The handgrip will cost around €179, while the DF-N1000 EVF will set you back around €349.

New kit lens

The Nikon 1 V3 comes with a power zoom (PD-Zoom in Nikon-speak) version of the 10-30mm F3.5-5.6 lens that's been around since the beginning of the 1-System. The difference is that the ring around the PD-Zoom version serves as the zoom controller, moving the lens through its 27-81mm (equiv.) focal range. V3_10_30_PD_top.jpg

A closer look at the new 10-30mm PD-Zoom lens

If you want to buy the 10-30 PD-Zoom by itself, you can pick one up for 215.99€

Overall

The Nikon 1 V1 and V2 are two cameras that are not frequently discussed among camera enthusiasts. Nikon is hoping to change that, and the V3's state-of-the-art autofocus system and incredibly fast continuous shooting modes may catch the eye of those looking for a second camera to sit alongside something higher-end.

We didn't have much time to spend with the V3, but it seems like a pretty solid offering. We like the external controls and customizable buttons, and the performance is top-notch. (Since we haven't been able to shoot with the V3 yet, we can't comment on photo quality.) The V3 also has the requisite 1080/60p movie mode and Wi-Fi features found on other mirrorless cameras.

One concern we have - at least here in the U.S. - is the price. Nikon USA is bundling the camera with the 10-30mm PD-Zoom lens, EVF, and grip, with a price tag of 864.12€ Considering that you can buy a Sony a6000 with a 16-50mm power zoom lens, built-in EVF, and similar Hybrid AF system for 288.04€ less, the V3 doesn't seem like a great value. Despite that, we look forward to putting the V3 through its paces, and seeing if that burst mode lives up to the hype.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=FAe_6Bv1QIk

http://www.dpreview....t&ref=title_0_0

Νίφει!

Samsung NX mini

Νέα λιλιπούτεια CSC από την Samsung που χωράει στην τσέπη, με μικρό όμως αισθητήρα 1".

allroundview-002.jpg?v=2772

inhand_back.jpg?v=2772 inhandback.jpg?v=2772

top.jpg?v=2772

lcd_tilt.jpg?v=2772

Πηγή και πρώτες εντυπώσεις εδώ: http://www.dpreview....samsung-nx-mini

Νίφει!

Panasonic announces Leica DG Summilux 15mm F1.7, and GM1 kit

Panasonic has officially announced the Leica DG Summilux 15mm F1.7 ASPH, a premium fast wideangle prime for Micro Four Thirds cameras. It offers an angle of view equivalent to 30mm on full frame, and features an aperture ring at the front of the barrel. It's also very small in diameter to match the tiny DMC-GM1 camera, with which it will be offered as a kit. It'll be available in black or silver from mid-June for 659.03€ with the GM1 kit costing 1,198.24€

Panasonic initially announced that it was planning on making this lens when it launched the DMC-GM1, and has shown it at recent trade shows including The Photography Show in the UK earlier this month.

15mm-gm1.jpg

The Panasonic Leica DG 15mm F1.7 ASPH on the DMC-GM1

Lens to be included in new GM1 kit, DMC-GM1L

24th March 2014 - Panasonic has unveiled a new digital interchangeable lens, the H-X015 LEICA DG SUMMILUX 15mm / F1.7 ASPH. (35 mm camera equivalent: 30 mm) for the LUMIX G range, based on the Micro Four Thirds standard, which is both compact and lightweight.

The new LEICA DG SUMMILUX 15mm / F1.7 ASPH. allows photographers to capture supreme daily life pictures with beautiful bokeh. Exceptional optical performance is assured with certification granted from the world-renowned LEICA.

The new lens system comprising of 9 elements in 7 groups uses 3 aspherical lenses. The aspherical lenses suppress spherical aberration and distortion effectively while enabling the lens unit to be made smaller.

Panasonic's Nano Surface Coating technology is adopted to minimize the reflection at entire visual light range (380nm-780nm) resulting in the super clear picture quality by avoiding ghost and flare.

The lens incorporates a superior inner focus system, which enables excellent resolution and contrast from close-up to infinity. The inclusion of a newly developed stepping motor makes the focusing action smooth, silent and quicker for use in both photo and video recording.

Notably the performance of AF is by far superior to the phase-difference AF when fast lenses with a smaller F value are used. It is also compatible with the sensor drive at max.240 fps to take maximum advantage of the high-speed AF of LUMIX G cameras.

The LEICA DG SUMMILUX 15mm / F1.7 ASPH. comes equipped with aperture ring and AF/MF switch for direct, intuitive operation. Furthermore, the robust metal design of LEICA DG SUMMILUX 15mm / F1.7 ASPH., including the hood, is highly reliable and durable for repeated exchange of the lens.

New GM1 kit, DMC-GM1L

The LEICA DG SUMMILUX 15mm / F1.7 ASPH. is the perfect companion for Panasonic’s recently released LUMIX DMC-GM1 and will be available with this camera in a new kit (DMC-GM1L) giving the photographer a sophisticated style with the ‘Got To have It’ camera enabling creative high quality photography.

The GM1 kit will be available in black from mid June priced 1,198.24€ while the lens only will be 659.03€arriving early June. The lens will be available in black and silver.

Πηγή: http://www.dpreview....t&ref=title_0_0

(ένα σε ασημί παρακαλώ)

Νίφει!

Leica T – Beta Test Report

By Michael Reichmann

s-visa.jpg

The World's Sexiest Camera

April 24, 2014

I have been a beta tester for Leica for some time, and this report
is based on a pre-production camera, and early firmware.

The camera's firmware is in constant revision at this time and therefore
no firm conclusions should be drawn about the camera's performance.

When the Leica T is shipping with final firmware I will update this report
to a full review, with comments on all aspects of performance.

Look And Feel

The word sexy is one that I have never used before in relation to a camera.

Not no how. Not ever. That's just not the way that I speak or write. But when I recently attended a meeting in New York with senior Leica management, and the new Leica T was put in my hand for the first time, my reaction was emotional rather that pragmatic. "Wow, this is one sexy camera," are the words that I remember saying, and then I sat for some 10 minutes fondling the camera. Yes, fondling, also a word that I have never used before in a camera review.

So – What's going on Reichmannlosing your grip? Well, maybe a little. But the Leica T is that sort of camera.

The technical specs are straightforward, and I'll get to them in a moment, but I want to continue describing the almost visceral experience of handling the Leica T.

The body is smooth, yet not too slippery. The body has a very large front grip area that makes holding the camera feel secure. There are just four external controls – a shutter release with On/Off switch, a movie button, and two deeply recessed thumb wheels. There is a pop-up flash which is activated by turning the On/Off switch to a further position. It then extends quite high off the top of the camera. On the base there is, of course, a tripod screw mount, and a battery compartment. The bottom of the battery is in fact the cover, and this presents a very smooth and practical alternative to the too-often all-too-cheap and flimsy doors that many cameras display. That's it. Nothing else other than an SD card door and slot on the right hand side under ones palm.

Oh yes, there's the very large 3.7" TFT LCD with 1.3 million pixels that seemingly covers the entire back of the camera. Indeed the rear of the Leica T looks and feels very much like an iPhone, because the back is one continuous piece of glass that then merges invisibly with the rest of the chassis. Frankly, it makes every other camera on the market today look clunky and old fashioned.

You'll also notice a unique neoprene rubber lens strap with a unique ringless mounting method that has to be seen to be appreciated.

It should be mentioned that the Leica T's industrial design was by Audi Design.

block.jpg

After I removed the Leica T from my sweaty palms one of the executives handed me a (heavy) block of solid aluminum, and I was told that this is what the bodies are made from. They are carved from such a solid block by a CNC machine and then polished with some 4,000 manual strokes at the Leica factory in Portugal. The perfectly finished bodies are then anodised in either silver or black and provided with a silky-smooth matte finish. The bodies are then shipped to Germany where they are assembled together with their electronic components, and QC tested. My opinion is that the black model looks sharpest, but the review sample I received was silver and it looks very classy.

In Hand

The first thing that you notice, besides the truly world-class industrial design and lovely tactile feel of the body, is that there are almost no external controls. But, turn the camera on and the large 3.7" rear LCD quickly answers the question of where the controls are. This is primarily a touch-screen controlled camera. I'll return to this topic shortly, but I'll mention that if you've ever seen a Leica's menu screen you'll understand that there are few companies that do it better. The menus are simply laid out, obvious in their function, and operate in much the same manner as an iPhone or Android phone. Touch, tap, pinch, swipe. At the time of first shipment there will also be an iOS application called the Leica T App. With it you'll be able to download, share and otherwise control the camera. Android users will be able download images via wireless LAN to the Browser Gallery of an Android device.

The Leica T does not have a built-in EVF. Instead there is an optional accessory EVF called a Visoflex. This is a new proprietary Leica design (not OEM'd from Olympus as was the case with the M 240's EVF) and it has a built-in GPS which transmits data to the camera via the device's accessory shoe connection. By the way, Leica long-timers will smile at the recycling of the name Visoflex, because decades ago this was the name given a reflex viewing device for M cameras. A cute tip-of-the-hat by Leica to a venerable name.

tower.jpg

Leica T with 18-56 Vario Elmar @ 56mm and f/7.1
tower-thumb.jpg

100% on-screen crop

The Basics

I'm sure that you've been all over the web by now reading up on the specs, but here are the basics...

– 16.3 Million pixel size APS-C (23.6 x 15.7 mm) CMOS sensor. Aspect ratio 3:2

– JPG and raw, with DNG raw format. A free copy of Adobe Lightroom is supplied with the camera as a download

– SD/SDHC/SDXC memory cards and 16GB of internal memory

– ISO speeds from 100 to 12,500

– video at 1920 x 1080, 30P and 1280 x 720 30P fps

– exposure compensation at ±3 EV in 1/3 EV increments

– frame rate at 5FPS with a 12 frame buffer

– rear 3.7" TFT LCD , 1.3 million pixels

This is a well specified compact system camera by any standard. I could complain about the lack of an articulated LCD, but then this would spoil the beautiful lines of the camera. My guess is that many will be buying this camera because of its styling as much as anything else, so I can't fault Leica for this design decision. But, I miss having one on any camera.

What I can immediately fault them on, even without testing the camera, is the system's lack of optical stabilization. There's none in the camera or the lenses. In today's market some may see this as a serious omission. (There is a Stabilization setting in the menus, but it seems to me to not be optical or sensor based, but electronic in nature, and therefore likely not to be terribly effective. At least it doesn't seem so to me.)

beach.jpg

At The Beach. Toronto, April, 2014

Leica T with Vario Elmar T @ ISO 100

Pricing and Availability

The Leica T Type 701 camera body is priced in the U.S. at 1,338.64€ in either black or silver finish. The SUMMICRON-T 23/f2 ASPH is 1,411€ and the VARIO-ELMAR-T 18-56/f3.5-5.6 ASPH will be1,266.28€ The optional Visoflex EVF is 430.54€ and the M lens adaptor will be 285.82€

The camera, lenses and accessories are scheduled to be in stores worldwide by May 26.

I find the pricing of the camera to be quite aggressive on Leica's part. The lenses seem steep, but if they perform as they initially appear to, then I don't think many will complain. No Leica lens is ever bargain priced.

To save you doing the math, a body, both new lenses, and the EVF together will cost a cool 3,722.87€But if you just go for the body and zoom you'll be looking at 2,604.92€ Still pricey, but compared to the fixed lens Leica X-Vario when it came out less than a year ago at 2,062.23€ not so bad, especially when you consider that the Leica T has interchangeable lenses, and the "24-70mm" equivalent zoom has increased in speed a half stop from the X-Vario's deal-killing f/6.4 minimum aperture to a seemingly more acceptable f/5.6 at the long end.

In short, the X-Vario's lens (speed notwithstanding) was a remarkable optic. If the interchangeable version for the T is at least as good it will be a killer lens.

The Lenses

lens1.jpg

The Leica T mount is the first new interchangeable Leica lens mount since the Leica S mount of 2009. Prior to that there was the R mount of 1964, and the M mount of 1954. These are also Leica's first interchangeable autofocus lenses other than those for the medium format Leica S.

According to Leica these lenses are made to their design and specification in Japan, and – FYI – they are notbuilt by Panasonic. When asked directly, I was told that Leica uses an OEM manufacturing company which also makes high-end lenses for a number of other top companies. Is it Cosina? They make Zeiss lenses, no? No, not Cosina. But, regardless of who actually builds them, these are Leica lenses in every respect; fit, finish, and of course, image quality. If these lenses were built at the new Leica plant in Germany my guess is that they would cost 2X what they do now.

The point is that in this world of globalized production, where things are made is much less important than it used to be. Your elegant iPhone is made in China. The fantastic V8 engine in my car is made in Mexico, the chassis was designed in Germany, and the body assembled in the US. Who cares anymore? The important thing is quality of materials, quality of build, and quality of design. Put these factors together properly and it makes little-to-no difference where the robots that make most things are located (and by the way, where were the robots made?)

It's a brave new world, like it or not, and fretting over Made in Germany over Made Somewhere on Planet Earth, means little. And don't forget – some of the best Leica lenses ever were designed and manufactured in Midland, Ontario, Canada. They were highly coveted then and still are by collectors; the same ones who fuss over Made in Germany on a camera's bottom plate. Go figure. Oh yes, the new Leica T body does say Made in Germany.

lens2.jpg

While on the subject of lenses, there are two additional lenses coming in early 2015. The Leica Super-Vario-Elmar-T 11-23 /f3.5–4.5 ASPH, and the Leica APO-Vario-Elmar-T 55–135 /f3.5-5.6 ASPH. These are 17–35 mm and 80–200 mm equivalents in 135mm terms. No prices yet, but based on the first two lenses you can expect them to be north of 1,447.18€ each. Leica optical quality does not come cheaply.

Performance and Features

There is more to a camera than image quality. Much more. How it performs and handles, how responsive it is in ones hands, and numerous ergonomic factors need to be considered. But, as mentioned at the top of this report, the camera under discussion here is a beta version and firmware still has a number of weeks to go until it is locked for shipment.

There are a number of things that differentiate the Leica T from other cameras in this mirrorless category, including several features which some photographers will find lacking. I will list them below. But before I do I should mention that I see the Leica T as not a camera for photojournalist or other pros. Instead it is more appropriately marketed to the affluent amateur who wants a simple to use, and elegantly designed camera. Whether it meets the needs of other constituencies remains to be decided by each individual after a hands-on session with a production camera.

What's Here?

This is a very minimalist camera from an operational point of view. Yet, it offers a broad range of features and capabilities though these are hidden behind its extremely simple exterior.

I should mention that this is possibly the first serious camera that can be picked up by someone without in-depth photographic experience, and set-up and used without a user manual. It is a bit like an iPhone in that regard. A simple fold-out guide to basic functions is provided, with lots of illustrations, and then you just dive in and figure it out. It's surprisingly intuitive.

With the exception of the two deeply recessed thumb wheels, there are no physical controls other than the shutter release, and movie button. Everything is controlled via the touch screen and one of two menus. The main screen offers icons that allow for shooting mode selection and shooting screen display choices. A camera icon then leads to the main menu. There is also a secondary menu with less used items one level down.

What works very well is the ability to populate the main camera menu with those items, and just those items, that you need for your style of shooting. This is done by a simple Hold / Drag / Drop, in the same way that one moves items around and groups them on an iPhone screen. Similarly one of the scroll wheels can be given one of several different functions. So, for example, in A or S modes the second wheel can be assigned Exposure Compensation.

The user interface is very much in the current smartphone paradigm. Not that the Leica T is in any way like a Smartphone, but also, like the touch screens we are seeing on higher-end cars, this means of controlling complex devices has a certain appeal. I have to point out that it is not for the power user - who is likely better served by a camera with more accessible controls.

For this reason the serious photographer will naturally go hurrumph, but he or she is not the target customer for the Leica T. Rather, I believe that this is a camera for the well-heeled amateur who wants a camera that is simple to operate, uncomplicated, and has a prestige look and identity. Dare I write that this new Leica fits that description to a "T".

At my New York meeting with Leica I said at one point that just based on looks and "feel" alone this is the type of objet desiré that a wealthy traveler might see in an airport duty free boutique window and buy on impulse. Have you ever noticed how many expensive watches are found in those stores? Yup, the Leica T will appeal to the same demographic that buys a 3,617.95€ watch at a duty free store while traveling abroad, when they might not do so when at home. It's just the psychology of money and travel, and Leica is likely to benefit from it with the T. I feel that Leica has hit this particular nail right on the head.

Overall Image and Lens Quality

If you're looking for an objective, scientific test, you've come to the wrong place. I used to use a DxO test system - years ago, but then found that my subjective evaluations always satisfied me more. So, if you're looking for graphs and numbers, please check with DxO Labs and with sites like DPReview.

Based on limited use thus far, I can say that overall image quality from the Leica T's sensor is first rate. The T's IQ is state-of-the-art, and to the extent that there is a Leica "look", the T has it. Now, this may be a result of using Leica glass, because these certainly have more of a "look" than does a sensor. But, the combination of the two with the Leica T, has a "signature" that Leica aficionados will recognize and greatly enjoy. You can even see it on samples here, at web sizes. In prints it's quite noticeable.

What's Missing?

There are a number of competitive features which I feel the Leica T lacks. These may or may not be important to a given photographer.

– no on-screen level indicator

– no exposure lock or focus lock (this could be added in future by making the video button an optionally programmable custom function)

– no optical stabilization, either from the sensor or lenses

There are several other issues in the current firmware, and these are mentioned below, though because they are mostly firmware based possibly some are slated for correction prior to first ship.

Not Tested

I have not had the opportunity to test the Leica T's video capability, but I don't expect it to be anything much different from that found in most CSCs today. There is a Leica M lens adaptor which can read the 6 bit encoding on most Leica lenses. Other than testing that this works, I can't add much at this time. My colleague Sean Reid at Reidreviews has researched this and covers it in greater depth in his just-published Leica T reviews.

Noise Characteristics

Almost all camera with MFT or APS-C sized sensors these days have really quite good high ISO performance. But, for most photographers there's the need to know how the higher ISOs perform. So here, using my standardized testing protocol, are a series of 100% on-screen crops at the camera's various ISOs.

t-full.jpg

ISOs 100 through about 800 were very clean. 1600 needs a bit of help with post processing noise reduction, and even up to and including ISO 6400 raws can be quite usable with a bit of work.

t100.jpg

ISO 100
t200.jpg

ISO 200
t400.jpg

ISO 400
t800.jpg

ISO 800

Please note that the ISO 800 shot above is slightly blurred. Since all shots were taken at the same time
and in the same manner (tripod / self timer), I explored the problem and discovered that there appears to be
some shutter vibration at around 1/3rd of a second.Two test runs showed the same results.
A bit faster or a bit slower a shutter speed and no vibration was detected. It is not clear to me if this an anomaly or not.

t1600.jpg

ISO 1600

t3200.jpg

ISO 3200
t6400.jpg

ISO 6400
t12500.jpg

ISO 12,500

Beta Firmware Bugs

As mentioned at the beginning of the page, the Leica T firmware is still in beta. But, a reviewer's job is to point out what they know, so – as of 22 April, the following are the critiques that I have forwarded to Leica re the last firmware version. I would expect a number of these will be addressed before the camera first ships to end users.

No focus lock or AE lock. These could and should be user programmable to the Video button.

The detent on EVF tilt is not firm enough.

There is no lock on the EVF diopter adjustment.

There is just single shot or 5 FPS. There should be an intermediate speed, otherwise its not possible to shoot in controlled bursts. Right now it's all or nothing.

There is no way to turn off Review (the minimum is 1 second). Many photographers do not want instant review on a mirrorless camera, as it blocks their seeing.

If you are shooting in Touch Focus mode, when you try and play back the image by swiping the screen you will unintentionally change the focus point.

When displaying the live Histogram, it disappears when the shutter is half pressed. On a camera without focus lock or exposure lock this is frustrating.

There is no highlight overexposure warning when shooting.

There is no highlight overexposure warning on image review.

There is no focus peaking when manual focusing, though the two stage image magnification works very well.

The self timer is not sticky. It resets after each exposure. This should be a user selectable option. Stay on always, or turn off after each shot.

When formatting there is no confirmation message.

Performance... the current camera is slower in some parameters than other current mirrorless cameras.

The camera cannot shoot only raws. Some users don't need or want JPGs.

In Summary

As mentioned at the top of this review, I am a some-time beta tester for Leica, and it is based on this experience using the Leica T that this beta report is written. Am I unbiased? Of course not. I have been a mostly happy Leica user since the mid-1960's and have a friendly relationship with the company. ( No, I am not paid in any way for my testing, and I do not get any free gear. Everything goes back to Leica after the test period.)

But a favourable attitude toward a company does not mean that I overlook their mistakes. Long-time readers know that I call them as I see them.

I have mentioned the camera's strengths as well as some of its weaknesses. If this doesn't seem to you to be the kind of camera that hard-core photographers might be interested in, you'd be right. It never was intended to be. The camera itself has nothing like the range of features and capabilities that its prime competitors have to offer, but then it isn't intended to. Thus any such comparison would be pointless.

The Leica T is not, in my view, intended to compete in the same marketplace as cameras like the Fuji XT, Panasonic GH4 or Olympus OM-D EM-1. Though the body is not dissimilarly priced, the two currently available lenses are priced well above the competition. But then, they are Leica lenses after all.

In its target market – affluent amateurs who want simplicity of operation combined with great image quality, prestigious look, feel, and branding, the Leica T satisfies - to a T.

Πηγή: http://www.luminous-...s_and_use.shtml

Νίφει!

Sony a6000 First Impressions Review

February 2014 | By Richard Butler, Jeff Keller

Buy on GEARSHOP3 DEALS

intro.jpg?v=2863

Preview based on production Sony a6000

onSony'sSy's NEX-6 was a departure from the company's usual lineup of mirrorless cameras when it was introduced in the Fall of 2012. It slotted in between the NEX-5 models and the NEX-7, and offered two things that were yet to appear on any Sony mirrorless camera: a mode dial and ISO-standard hot shoe.

The new a6000 sits in the same place in Sony's mirrorless lineup, but adds a number of significant new features (while also losing the NEX moniker of its predecessor). While the resolution and processor have been bumped up, the most notable feature on the a6000 is its updated Hybrid AF system.

Where the NEX-6 had 99 phase-detect points covering approximately 50% of the sensor, the a6000 has 179, with 92% coverage. This, combined with the new Bionz X processor, allows the camera to shoot continuously at 11 fps with subject tracking, according to Sony. The company also claims that the a6000 has the fastest AF performance on the market, though those statements should always be taken with a grain of salt.

Sony a6000 key features

• 24.3 megapixel APS-C CMOS sensor
  • Bionz X image processor
  • Hybrid AF system with 25 contrast-detect and 179 phase-detect points
  • Built-in flash + Multi-Interface Shoe
  • 11 fps continuous shooting with subject-tracking
  • 3-inch tilting LCD with 921,600 dots
  • OLED electronic viewfinder with 1.44M dots
  • Diffraction correction, area-specific noise reduction, and detail reproduction technology
  • Full HD video recording at 1080/60p and 24p; clean HDMI output
  • Wi-Fi with NFC capability and downloadable apps

The major changes here are related to the sensor. The new 24 megapixel 'Exmor APS HD' CMOS sensor has on-chip phase detection like its predecessor, but covers a much larger area of the frame. Sony promises better AF tracking, especially when shooting continuously. The a6000 uses Sony's latest image processor - Bionz X - which touts improved detail and smarter noise reduction as improvements.

While the specs of the a6000's movie mode aren't a whole lot different from the NEX-6, users now have access to a zebra pattern, and can output 'clean' video over HDMI. The menus have switched to the new 'Alpha' style found on the a7 and a7R (for better or for worse), and the camera can now be controlled via a Mac or PC over a USB connection. The Wi-Fi feature is about the same as on the NEX-6, with even more apps available for download.

Hybrid AF System

afpoints.jpg?v=2863

If there's one area that makes the a6000 stand out from the crowd, it's the camera's improved AF system. While the 25-point contrast detect part of the system remains the same, the number of phase-detect points has increased from 99 to 179 since the NEX-6. All of those extra phase detect points give you a much wider coverage area: roughly 92% of the frame, compared to around 50%. The benefit? A wider area that lets phase detection autofocus do what it does best: track moving subjects.

Bionz X Processor

The company's latest, 'Bionz X,' processor is considerably more powerful than the previous generation, allowing what the company says will be more sophisticated processing.

Sony is being a little vague on specifics, but is touting the new processor as offering 'Detail Reproduction Technology' which appears to be a more subtle and sophisticated sharpening system. The company promises less apparent emphasis on edges, giving a more convincing representation of fine detail.

Another function promised by the Bionz X processor is 'Diffraction Reduction', in which the camera's processing attempts to correct for the softness caused by diffraction as you stop a lens' aperture down. This processing is presumably aperture-dependent and sounds similar to an element of Fujifilm's Lens Modulation Optimization system (introduced on the X100S), suggesting it's something we should expect to see become more common across brands in the coming months.

Finally, Sony says the Bionz X chip offers a more advanced version of its context-sensitive, 'area-specific noise reduction', which attempts to identify whether each area of an image represents smooth tone, textured detail or subject edges and apply different amounts of noise reduction accordingly.

In most respects, the Alpha 6000 is a big step up from the NEX-6. The only way in which the a6000 falls short compared to that camera is with regard to the EVF, which is smaller and lower resolution.

As you'd expect, the a6000 is considerably more capable than the lower-cost a5000, unless you want a 180 degree flip-up screen. The trade-off for that feature is the lack of an EVF.

Kit options and pricing

The a6000 is be available in silver or black, at a price of $650/£589/€649 for the body and $800/£719/€799 for a kit including the 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 power zoom lens.hile most of the changes on the a6000 are for the better, there are a few things that have gone the other way compared to the NEX-6. For the sake of comparison we've also thrown in the a6000's step-down model, the a5000.

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/sony-alpha-a6000

Edited by gatz
  • Like 2

Samsung NX mini review: a 330.81€mirrorless cam that fits in your pocket

BY ZACH HONIG @ZACHHONIG 22 HOURS AGO

nxminilead.jpg

It's been a long journey, but Samsung's managed to build out a compelling camera lineup that has something for everyone. Pros can get the high-end NX30; cameraphone addicts can pick up the Galaxy K Zoom; and selfie fanatics will probably go for the330.81€ NX mini, a tiny interchangeable-lens camera with a flip-up LCD that fits in your pocket. It's that latter model we're checking out today, and while it's hardly a professional workhorse, Samsung's entry-level mirrorless cam is a practical choice for the largest demographic any electronics manufacturer could hope to target: regular people.

Samsung NX mini review

• p7082977-1_95x95.jpg
  • p7082981-1_95x95.jpg
  • p7082988-1_95x95.jpg
  • p7082990-1_95x95.jpg
  • p7082994-1_95x95.jpg
  • p7082997-1_95x95.jpg

PROS

• Incredibly compact
  • Dedicated selfie mode
  • Easy-to-use WiFi sharing
  • Decent battery life

CONS

• Smaller 1-inch sensor
  • Few physical controls
  • Limited lens selection

SUMMARY

Samsung's NX mini is cheap, pocketable and a lot of fun to shoot with.

The biggest selling point here is a super-slim, lightweight body that you can slip into a handbag, or even a pants pocket. Without a lens attached, the NX mini is no larger than many compact point-and-shoots, and when you stick on the 9mm (24.3mm, 35mm equivalent) f/3.5 kit lens, it's not much thicker. There's a 1-inch, 20.5-megapixel CMOS sensor that's identical in size to what you'll get with very high-end compacts, like the588.11€ Sony RX100 M3, but quite a bit smaller than the APS-C sensor manufacturers include with mirrorless cameras like the Alpha 6000 or the aforementioned NX30.

HARDWARE

P7082997.jpg

Of course, a slim design also means you'll have to put up with some limitations. There are only a few buttons on the rear, and they're adorably small. They're adequate for petite hands, but many adults will need to use a fingertip to do things like accessing the menu, switching to a different mode or reviewing captured images. There are miniature buttons on the top, too, for turning on the power or launching into Samsung's WiFi mode. Fortunately, the shutter release is nearly full-size, and once you launch the menu, you can adjust many settings simply by tapping the 3-inch, 480 x 320 touchscreen, which also flips up 180 degrees for self-portraits, or at any angle in between for shots below eye-level, or overhead if you flip the camera upside-down.

Another peculiarity is the microSD card slot, which Samsung's now including with many of its point-and-shoot cameras. It's not like microSD cards are difficult to come by or much more expensive than their full-size counterparts these days, but they are tricky to insert. Plus, they're incompatible with most laptops for downloading pictures and video (without an adapter), and very easy to misplace. The battery, however, is large enough for full-day shoots, at 2,330mAh, and the camera charges via micro-USB, which I prefer personally, though some users will want to have an external charger (which you won't find in the box).

USER INTERFACE

P7083066.jpg

As for the UI, there's nothing out of the ordinary here. You can control just about everything using the touchscreen, though you can also use the four-way controller on the side to navigate if you prefer. Settings are limited, and therefore relatively straightforward, so you should be able to find what you're looking for with only a few taps.

There is a dedicated mode button, but there's no room for a dial, so you need to tap the screen to move among auto, smart, program, aperture or shutter priority and manual options. Once you've made your pick, you can tweak settings using a touchscreen function menu. In manual mode, this can be a bit cumbersome, since you need to go back in the menu to adjust aperture and shutter speed. But this probably isn't a camera most owners will use with a manually dialed-in exposure.

P7083107.jpg

There's also a WiFi mode, which lets you access a variety of wireless sharing options. You can use MobileLink to send photos from the camera to a smartphone or tablet, or Remote Viewfinder, which miraculously lets you access all of the NX mini's shooting modes, including manual, from another device. You also have access to Samsung Home Monitor, which requires its own smartphone app and lets you use the camera to keep an eye on a child, for example, assuming your camera and phone are connected to the same WiFi network. Additionally, you can back up photos via WiFi, post directly to the web or send pictures in an email, all directly from the camera.

PERFORMANCE AND BATTERY LIFE

P7083093.jpg

I really enjoyed shooting with the NX mini. The camera performed as expected every time when shooting outdoors or in decent lighting conditions -- low-light photos didn't turn out nearly as well (more on that in the image quality section below). The camera is fairly quick to boot up and you only have to wait a moment for the bundled 9mm lens to extend. There is a noticeable amount of focus hunting, but in bright light you can fire off a shot very quickly. Dim scenes are another story, but the NX performed reasonably well when the (oddly green) focus-assist light was turned on.

The camera offers a few positive surprises on the performance front, including a 6 fps consecutive-shooting mode that lets you capture full-resolution RAW or JPEG images. If you're willing to settle for 5-megapixel shots, you can also choose from three burst modes, including 10, 15 and 30 frames per second. The clever selfie mode launches as soon as you flip the display forward -- you can access it directly even when the camera's powered off. When you press the shutter release, the camera will start a three-second countdown, giving you enough time to reposition before it captures an image.

P7083035.jpg

There's a 1/16,000-second maximum shutter speed, letting you shoot at larger apertures in bright sunlight, though even at f/3.5, you won't capture much bokeh (blurred backgrounds) due to the smaller sensor size. The sensitivity ranges from 160-12,800, or 25,600 in extended mode, while videos can be captured at 1080p, 720p, VGA or 320 x 240, all at 30 frames per second. Battery life is rated at 650 shots with the 9mm lens or 530 shots with the 9-27mm zoom lens. That should get you through a full day of shooting on vacation, assuming you don't spend hours reviewing pictures on the display or transmitting photos via WiFi.

IMAGE QUALITY

The NX mini has a 1-inch sensor, so it's reasonable to expect image quality to be superior to what you'd get with a typical point-and-shoot. But the camera's no match for higher-end mirrorless models or even an entry-level DSLR. I did some casual shooting over the span of one month in San Francisco, Taipei and Austin, Texas. Results were generally quite solid with daytime shoots, but indoor photos and shots captured at night fell a bit short. The 9mm pancake lens excludes optical image stabilization, so captures at slower shutter speeds are often quite blurry, particularly when you're holding the camera at a distance to shoot a selfie. Let's take a look at some samples.

Samsung NX mini camera samples

• sam-0011-1_95x95.jpg
  • sam-0017-1_95x95.jpg
  • sam-0023-1_95x95.jpg
  • sam-0024-1_95x95.jpg
  • sam-0031-1_95x95.jpg
  • sam-0034-1_95x95.jpg

See all photos

36 Photos

ISO3200-1-30-sec-f3-5-blur.jpg

Here's a typical group selfie. The camera opted for an f/3.5 aperture at 1/30 second, with a sensitivity of ISO 3200. That would have been fine when paired with image stabilization, but without OIS, what you get is a blurry mess. If you're taking similar selfies in low light, capture several frames at once or use the built-in flash to guarantee a usable image.

ISO1600-1-30-sec-f3-5-better-selfie.jpg

This f/3.5, 1/30-second exposure was much more successful, thanks to a nearby table that helped to prop up the NX mini. Noise is barely visible at ISO 1600, even in the 1:1 inset view, and colors and exposure are accurate.

ISO1600-1-30-sec-f3-5-bbq-selfie.jpg

With instant access as soon as you flip up the LCD, it's easy to capture spur-of-the-moment selfies, such as this f/3.5, 1/30-second exposure at ISO 1600. Unfortunately, the camera opted to focus on the background, though even details there are slightly blurry due to the absent OIS.

ISO200-1-125-sec-f6-3-austin-sign.jpg

Ordinary daytime shots turn out just fine, such as this f/6.3, 1/125-second exposure in downtown Austin. Details are sharp, and there's not much noise to speak of, thanks a sensitivity of ISO 200.

ISO3200-1-8-sec-f3-5-night-scene.jpg

Like the supported selfie up above, this f/3.5, 1/8-second night scene in San Francisco is relatively sharp thanks to a nearby table, which served to anchor the camera. Captured at ISO 3200, noise is visible in the 1:1 inset, but wider views look fine.

ISO6400-1-50-sec-f3-5-cat.jpg

We call this a Tuna taco (Tuna's the cat). She held perfectly still for this f/3.5, 1/50-second shot, which sports relatively sharp details and low noise despite the high sensitivity of ISO 6400.

The NX mini shouldn't be your first pick for shooting video. Quality is decent in brighter conditions, but without integrated image stabilization, hand-held shots are shaky at best, as you can see in the sample reel above. The camera also struggled with focus, especially when moving between subjects. The onboard microphone also failed to capture clear audio from a subject just a few feet away. Sharpness and exposure, however, are perfectly fine.

THE COMPETITION

P7082977.jpg

Samsung's in a unique position with the NX mini. There isn't anything quite like it from another manufacturer, though the 330.81€ Nikon 1 S2 offers an attractive, colorful design with a similar sensor size and kit lens range. It's also quite compact, though noticeably thicker than the NX. If you're a pro looking for a high-quality camera that you can slip into a pocket, the 588.11€ Sony RX100 M3 is a stronger contender, with a superior lens, better image and video quality and much more comprehensive manual controls. It also has a flip-up LCD and a pop-up electronic viewfinder.

If you're in the market for a mirrorless camera, but you're not set on the mini's compact size, Sony's 588.11€ (with kit lens) Alpha 6000 is an excellent pick. The sensor is significantly larger, so you'll get better image quality, particularly in low light, and Sony has a much broader selection of lenses available for its mirrorless series. Samsung's NX30 is also a solid option, priced at about 588.11€ with an 18-55mm lens. The NX mini is also available in a kit with a 9-27mm (24-73mm, 35mm equivalent) f/3.5-5.6 zoom lens for330.81€

WRAP-UP

P7083053.jpg

I was skeptical when Samsung first demoed the NX mini, having seen several manufacturers fail to deliver a great camera within a very small package. Pentax'sinfamous Q was tiny, but it was also spectacularly overpriced and an underperformer across the board, due in no small part to its small sensor and inadequate lenses. Nikon'sinitial lineup of mirrorless cameras, the V1 and J1, fell short as well. Samsung's NX mini introduction is well-timed, however, with young casual photographers now focused on style and selfies above all else. The NX mini is hardly the most capable mirrorless camera on the market, but at 330.81€ with a lens, it's a very solid buy.

http://www.engadget.com/2014/07/09/samsung-nx-mini-review/

Νίφει!

Hands-on with the Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5

1_GM5.jpeg

(στην φωτο δίπλα στην δική μου GM1)

Είμαι λίγο απογοητευμένος. Περίμενα η GM5 να είναι στο ίδιο μέγεθος με την δικιά μου, απλά καλύτερη σε όλα. Αυτό που μας δίνει η Panasonic είναι μια όντως καλύτερη μηχανή από κάθε άποψη, επιτέλους και με ηλεκτρονικό οφθαλμοσκόπιο, αλλά ελαφρώς μεγαλύτερη, με μικρότερη οθόνη και χωρίς ενσωματωμένο flash (deal-breaker για εμένα).

Τουλάχιστον ανακοινώθηκε επιτέλους ο G-Vario 35-100 (70-200 σε 35mm) f/4-5,6

2502329382.jpg?v=2956

που ελπίζω σε κάποια στιγμή να με συντροφέψει στις φωτογραφικές αναζητήσεις. :)

Νίφει!

μάλλον η επόμενη μηχανή,μου ..

FUJIFILM X-T1 Promotional Video:

sent from my cave with smoke signals

• Like 1

elan-wingman-86-ti-fusion-x-2d-kv.png

Εξαιρετικό κομμάτι, πρόσφατα βγήκε και σε "graphite":

Fuji-XT1-Graphite-web.jpg

Και επειδή το "κλασικό" σχήμα της ξεγελά, ας την δούμε δίπλα σε μια παραδοσιακή DSLR, την Nikon D800, για να καταλάβουμε πόσο μικρή είναι:

dsc2203-edit-smal.jpg?w=800

dsc2179-edit-smal.jpg?w=800

(http://kjetilkvienmadsen.wordpress.com/2014/04/12/fujifilm-xt-1-back-to-basics/)

Νίφει!

Βλέποντας την, όποιος έχει απολαύσει την ευκολία των βασικών χειριστηρίων σε manual SLR δε μπορεί παρά να θυμηθεί λίγη από τη χαμένη αίγλη του να ξέρεις να τραβάς φωτογραφίες έχοντας κατά νου τον περιορισμό των 36 λήψεων ανά φιλμ.

Το ίδιο μου θύμισαν και οι ενδείξεις των διαφραγμάτων που παλιά σε βοηθούσαν να υπολογίσεις το βάθος πεδίου από την εστίαση, αλλά μάλλον πλέον είναι άχρηστη υπόμνηση.

"Ω ξειν', αγγέλειν ότι τήδε κείμεθα της χιονοδρομίας πειθόμενοι"

gifmaker_me2.gif.fbe136ebed00091d62648fa0ffc991ff.gif

Austrian Level 2 Ski Instructor

Είναι καταπληκτικό κομμάτι όντως...Τώρα μένει να δούμε που θα βρεθεί το.μαρούλι..

sent from my cave with smoke signals

elan-wingman-86-ti-fusion-x-2d-kv.png

Επιτελους ενα σωμα με τον Foveon σε τιμη that makes sense. Δυστυχως η Sigma χαντακωσε ενα φοβερο αισθητηρα με τις πολιτικες τιμολογησης και μη ανταλαξιμοτητας των φακων για πολυ καιρο.

Παντως οι μερες των φιλτρων moire ειναι μαλλον μετρημενες. Η ελειψη τετοιων φιλτρων ειναι και ο κυριωτερος λογος της τρομακτικης ευκρινειας. Νομιζω οτι η Nikon προσφερει την δυνατοτητα να τα αφαιρεσεις κατ'επιλογην. Υπαρχουν και εργαστηρια που το κανουν σε Canon και τα αποτελεσματα ειναι εξαιρετικα. Απλα, να ξοδεψω ενα σκασμο λεφτα για bragging rights δεν λεει. Ουτως η αλλως χρειαζεσαι τον αντιστοιχο φακο για να δειξει.

Edited by MakisM
  • Like 1

Δεν είναι μόνο η έλλειψη moire φίλτρου, Μάκη, αν και όντως συνεισφέρει στην ευκρίνεια. Ο Foveon δίνει απίστευτα αποτελέσματα, απλά έχει και πολλά μειονεκτήματα.

Ομολογώ πάντως ότι δεν έχω ξαναδεί τέτοιο πράγμα σε οτιδήποτε εκτός από μεσαίο φορμά.

Νίφει!

Οντως Χρηστο, δυο ειναι τα θεματα.

Το ενα ειναι το Bayer filter, που συνθετει την πληροφορια για το χρωμα με interpolation. Δεδομενου οτι εχεις πληροφοριες για χρωμα απο 3 pixels (Green, Blue, Red) αν δεν κανω λαθος, το interpolation γινεται με 2 B, 1R και 1G. Ο Foveon εχει και τα τρια 'pixels' το ενα πανω απο το αλλο, οποτε ουσιαστικα εχει την διπλασια ευκρινεια και δεν χρειαζεται interpolation (τα 2B κοβουν το Nyquist frequency στο μισο). Οντως λοιπον, ειναι σαν να εχει την ευκρινεια ενος medium format (αν η πυκνοτητα των pixel παραμενει η ιδια).

Το αλλο, ειναι το moire filter που λογω του διπλασιου Nyquist Frequency χρειαζεται πολυ λιγοτερο και μπορει να ειναι πιο αδυνατο. Η Canon επιμενει να το χρησιμοποιει γιατι χρειαζεται στο βιντεο. Νομιζω οτι στη σειρα 1Dx ειναι πολυ πιο αδυνατο.

Στην τελικη παντως, χρειαζεσαι και τους αντιστοιχους φακους. Η Canon εχει ριξει πολυ χρημα στους MkII (τους επανασχεδιασμενους φακους με τρομερα μεγαλυτερη ευκρινεια απο τους MkI). Ο λογος ειναι οτι ειδαν οτι ειδαν οτι θα ειχαν προβληματα ευκρινειας στα πολλα Mp.

Βεβαια και η Σιγμα δεν καθεται στα αυγα της, εχει βγαλει τη σειρα Art που συναγωνιζεται επαξια σε οποιους φακους εχει επαναεκδοσει σαν Αrt.

Εχοντας επενδυσει σε δυο πολυ καλους φακους MkII και ενα non-Art (αλλα καινουριας σχεδιασης) Sigma, μαλλον θα κατσω στ'αυγα μου. Ισως να πουλησω την 60D + EF 18-200 + Sigma 8-16 σαν πακετο εαν ενδιαφερθει καποιος, αντικαθιστωντας με τον Sigma 12-24 που ειναι full frame αλλα μαλλον οχι, γιατι μετα θα πρεπει να κουβαλαω πολυ βαρος στα ταξιδια.

Δυστυχως τα χρονια των ακριβων αγορων ειναι πλεον πισω μας... :(

Edited by MakisM
  • Like 1

Χτες ανακοινώθηκε η καινούργια Sony A7R III και ένα εξαιρετικά sharp φακουδάκι, το FE 24-105 f/4 G:

eb33a3607a3ee03e65c2a7de6b1441fb.jpg

Σε ένα σχετικά μικρό και αρκετά... φτηνό πακετάκι παίρνουμε ποιότητα πολύ κοντά στο πιο μικρό μεσαίο φορμά, με το ένα τρίτο της τιμής μιας Hasselblad X1D, με zoom φακούς και αστραπιαία απόκριση. Pas mal, pas mal!

η αλήθεια είναι ότι λίγα σαλάκια μου έτρεξαν...

• Like 2

Νίφει!

Μόλις πάγωσε η κόλαση. Η Nikon σήμερα αποκάλυψε επίσημα δυο full frame mirrorless μηχανές:

Z7_And_Lenses_handson_02.jpg

Z7_And_Lenses_handson_26.jpg

https://www.dpreview.com/articles/4160692612/nikon-z7-what-you-need-to-know-about-nikon-s-first-mirrorless-full-frame-ilc

Ήταν θέμα χρόνου φυσικά να συμβεί. Και έχει τεράστιο ενδιαφέρον να δούμε πως θα απαντήσει η Canon.

• Like 3

Νίφει!