Captain Powder

Χιονοστιβάδες

Austrian skier buried under avalanche for 5 hours survives

Authorities have called his survival a "Christmas miracle." Thanks to a fortuitous air pocket, a skier survived for five hours after being buried by an avalanche.

https://www.dw.com/en/austrian-skier-buried-under-avalanche-for-5-hours-survives/a-51800661

Edited by xmen
  • Like 1

dynastar_omeglass_x_xpress_2016.jpg

k2_coomback_2013.jpg

4865_pic1b.jpg

Austria avalanche: Skier survives five hours in 'Christmas miracle' https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-50923644

Δεν κατάλαβα, η μαμά με τα δύο κοριτσάκια, σκοτώθηκαν, εντός της πίστας, που τις γύριζε στο χωριό; Είναι δυνατόν;

Δεν κατάλαβα, η μαμά με τα δύο κοριτσάκια, σκοτώθηκαν, εντός της πίστας, που τις γύριζε στο χωριό; Είναι δυνατόν;

Ειπε οτι τσεκαραν τις συνθηκες γυρω απο την πιστα και τις θεωρησαν ασφαλεις, οποτε εδωσαν την πιστα στο κοινο.

Θεωρουν 'πιθανον' οτι η χιονοστιβαδα 'was triggered by off-piste skiers'... Καπου ψηλοτερα δηλαδη, που δεν ηλεγξαν οι πιστερ.

Το Photobucket τελικα τσακισε και αφησε τους ομηρους...

AVALANCHE IN JAPAN KILLS 1 FRENCHMAN & CATCHES 7 OTHERS

31st January 2020

1cd6d3e7063017df4b230f9a2a0850ef.jpg

The group of French people was skiing off piste in Hokkaido on Thursday. The survivors had to leave his body on the mountain as the weather closed in.

The group of six men and two women was skiing off-piste, when the avalanche struck mid-afternoon at the Tomamu resort.

The weather has been warmer than usual and that probably made the snow unstable, according to the authorities

The dead man has been named as 38-year-old Sylvain Lethier.

His friends tried to revive him at the scene, but they were unable & they left his body and returned to the base of the mountain as the weather closed in.

Earlier one had skied off immediately after the accident to alert the rescue services.

His body was recovered by the authorities on Friday.

The man was found inside a snow cave built by his friends on a steep slope about 500m from the peak of the mountain’s south side.

The group was skiing outside the area managed by the ski resort when struck by the avalanche.

It was 50m long and 4m wide.

All members of the group were from France and had arrived in Hokkaido last Saturday.

An investigation is underway

Πηγή: https://www.planetski.eu/2020/01/31/avalanche-in-japan-kills-1-frenchman-catches-7-others/

Νίφει!

As some of you may have heard there myself and my riding twin Nienke got caught in an avalanche y day morning. I wanted to write this post firstly to say a massive thank you to all the people who dug me out. I will find you!! seb, victor, Geraldine, Claire you saved my life and for once I am lost for words . I cannot explain how terrifying that was and how I knew I was frozen and I completely in the hands of whoever was above. Y day I was beyond lucky for I know you are experienced, efficient, quick, calm and good riders. I know without you the story would have ended differently and I cannot thank you enough or imagine how harrowing if must have been for you too. Also thank you to Victoria from ski patrol and all the staff on the heli and at sion .

Secondly whoever gave me your gloves to save my white hands thanks so much as let me know where I can leave them. Thank you to ski patrol, the 3 guys who stayed with Nienke and fed her whisky , Rosie , plug and Kato for being legends.

Our intention is to tell our story not to create a battle of rights and wrongs but just to share our experience so we can all learn how to stay safe. We also want to say it once as each time we repeat it it goes deeper into the recesses of our mind.

So here we go:

Nienke has done 18 season, this is my 6th. We ride together all the time; I feel I have developed a primal intuition whereby I can predict her turns. We call each other grannies, we don’t try to take huge risks and we have huge respect for the mountain and others. We hate the frenetic energy of first lifts and always wait to let the testosterone diffuse.

Y day we met at 9, we headed for creble and yes it was crazy. We cut high let and shouted to our friends Kato and Rosie to move as they were in the fall line. We waited before dropping in. Then boom. Imagine a tsunami of bricks coming at full force. The imagine being taken by a wave tossed and turned no idea which way is up . The power is insurmountable. I thought just pull your airbag and fucking pull it hard. I did. But then the snow set. Everything went still. Concrete around my face, around my mouth no air. Hyperventilating. No room to move a millimetre. I tried to calm my breathing and this when I knew my fate lay in the hands of those above.

My mind oscillated from ‘I’m going to die’ to ‘I’m not going to die’. Time stood still and I just thought of my mum. I thought I hope Nienke is not down here with me in the dark. I thought I can’t believe I told her y day I was unhappy and I do not want to die with her thinking that. I thought of all my friends and my brother and my niece and all the people I haven’t called because I’ve been too busy. And then my breathing slowed but the whole time I was conscious my senses completely heightened. It’s completely dark and complete silence. You have to face yourself at that point .

Then I hear something and it was pure hope pure light and I knew I was ok. Victor shovelled snow from my face and mouth. All I could think is where is Nienke. I shouted find my friend. The search continued. Those horrific minutes slowed down as I thought she was under. The amazing team continued to search. We did not realise she had been flown further down the fall line and chucked out . She was ok.

I will not forget the moment when we walked towards each other.

We are so lucky and we know that. Apparently someone skied above us and set this off bit we do not know as we just got hit. Please let this be a great lesson for all of us. To slow down, to look up to be grateful for your days.

This is a fantastic community and all of the messages I have received are amazing. This is why I love Verbier. We are both doing well despite a little bruising we are fine.

We hope to continue to enjoy the mountain safely and not let fear overshadow our love for freeriding. We hope that everyone here learns a little from our experience as I know it’s easy to be powder hungry after the starvation.

Y day we lay in hospital and the clock struck 11:11, we read the critics below. The lines of my favourite poem came to mind, ‘ it’s not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles’ Roosevelt.

I’m sure this page was not created for haters. We don’t hate. We are beyond happy to be part of this community and beyond grateful to be saved by these locals. Let’s not point the finger but stay safe and help each other.

Anyone who knows us well will laugh at our slight personality changes. Nienke the hippy has taken her first paracetamol in about 10 years and is talking about going out out. I however am contemplating yin yoga- not sure how long this will last

Big love

Stay safe

Rosalind Monks Kato Kim Victor Liebenguth Claire McGregor and everyone else who sent us messages thank you beyond words xx

#nobaddays

Ps can someone add Nienke to this group as it won’t let me

Πηγή: https://www.facebook.com/groups/verbiercommunity/permalink/1465460366952015/

• Like 1

Νίφει!

On 2/1/2020 at 4:52 PM, Χρήστος Λάππας said:

As some of you may have heard there myself and my riding twin Nienke got caught in an avalanche y day morning. I wanted to write this post firstly to say a massive thank you to all the people who dug me out. I will find you!! emoji23.png seb, victor, Geraldine, Claire you saved my life and for once I am lost for words . I cannot explain how terrifying that was and how I knew I was frozen and I completely in the hands of whoever was above. Y day I was beyond lucky for I know you are experienced, efficient, quick, calm and good riders. I know without you the story would have ended differently and I cannot thank you enough or imagine how harrowing if must have been for you too. Also thank you to Victoria from ski patrol and all the staff on the heli and at sion .

Secondly whoever gave me your gloves to save my white hands thanks so much as let me know where I can leave them. Thank you to ski patrol, the 3 guys who stayed with Nienke and fed her whisky , Rosie , plug and Kato for being legends.

Our intention is to tell our story not to create a battle of rights and wrongs but just to share our experience so we can all learn how to stay safe. We also want to say it once as each time we repeat it it goes deeper into the recesses of our mind.

So here we go:

Nienke has done 18 season, this is my 6th. We ride together all the time; I feel I have developed a primal intuition whereby I can predict her turns. We call each other grannies, we don’t try to take huge risks and we have huge respect for the mountain and others. We hate the frenetic energy of first lifts and always wait to let the testosterone diffuse.

Y day we met at 9, we headed for creble and yes it was crazy. We cut high let and shouted to our friends Kato and Rosie to move as they were in the fall line. We waited before dropping in. Then boom. Imagine a tsunami of bricks coming at full force. The imagine being taken by a wave tossed and turned no idea which way is up . The power is insurmountable. I thought just pull your airbag and fucking pull it hard. I did. But then the snow set. Everything went still. Concrete around my face, around my mouth no air. Hyperventilating. No room to move a millimetre. I tried to calm my breathing and this when I knew my fate lay in the hands of those above.

My mind oscillated from ‘I’m going to die’ to ‘I’m not going to die’. Time stood still and I just thought of my mum. I thought I hope Nienke is not down here with me in the dark. I thought I can’t believe I told her y day I was unhappy and I do not want to die with her thinking that. I thought of all my friends and my brother and my niece and all the people I haven’t called because I’ve been too busy. And then my breathing slowed but the whole time I was conscious my senses completely heightened. It’s completely dark and complete silence. You have to face yourself at that point .

Then I hear something and it was pure hope pure light and I knew I was ok. Victor shovelled snow from my face and mouth. All I could think is where is Nienke. I shouted find my friend. The search continued. Those horrific minutes slowed down as I thought she was under. The amazing team continued to search. We did not realise she had been flown further down the fall line and chucked out . She was ok.

I will not forget the moment when we walked towards each other.

We are so lucky and we know that. Apparently someone skied above us and set this off bit we do not know as we just got hit. Please let this be a great lesson for all of us. To slow down, to look up to be grateful for your days.

This is a fantastic community and all of the messages I have received are amazing. This is why I love Verbier. We are both doing well despite a little bruising we are fine.

We hope to continue to enjoy the mountain safely and not let fear overshadow our love for freeriding. We hope that everyone here learns a little from our experience as I know it’s easy to be powder hungry after the starvation.

Y day we lay in hospital and the clock struck 11:11, we read the critics below. The lines of my favourite poem came to mind, ‘ it’s not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles’ Roosevelt.

I’m sure this page was not created for haters. We don’t hate. We are beyond happy to be part of this community and beyond grateful to be saved by these locals. Let’s not point the finger but stay safe and help each other.

Anyone who knows us well will laugh at our slight personality changes. Nienke the hippy has taken her first paracetamol in about 10 years and is talking about going out out. I however am contemplating yin yoga- not sure how long this will last emoji23.pngemoji576.pngemoji2937.pngemoji8.png

Big love

Stay safe

Rosalind Monks Kato Kim Victor Liebenguth Claire McGregor and everyone else who sent us messages thank you beyond words xx

#nobaddays

Ps can someone add Nienke to this group as it won’t let me emoji2937.png

Πηγή: https://www.facebook.com/groups/verbiercommunity/permalink/1465460366952015/